line6 spider II head questions

livingtodie

Mar 24, 2004
so i recently bought a line6 spider II head with a B-52 cabinet,
i can't afford any of the expensive peavy/randall/marshall heads
so i settled for that one.
anyways, i've noticed while jamming with other musicians, their
amps just seem to easily overpower my amp (even a 212 marshall combo amp)
my amp just sounds flat. Is it because my amp's a valve-state?
or is it because of the cabinet?
or is it because the head's a piece of shit?
I've seen other musicans use this amp and it seems to be tweaked fine.

your amp is not valve-state, there are no valves (tubes) in it, its completely solid state

and I guess your last sentence is the answer to your problem: you need to tweak your settings

I have had some success with this amp but not much ....

If your in a band and competing with tubes amps your fighting a losing battle. The B-52 AT-100 would have been a better choice ... but i digress
Here are some suggestions ...

#1 Dont sccop out the mids. Having the mids on your amp anywhere below 5 is "im not gonna cut through a mix with a chainsaw" territory.

#2 DONT use the Insane channel .... Too much distortion = MUD

#3 Stick to the Marshall or Rectifier settings but keep the gain at a moderate level. Between 5 and 7 should be enough.

Other than that theres not much you can do ... Solidstate amps just dont cut through in a mix. Especially modeling amps.

My guitarist uses one of these heads, and while it doesn't quite have the clarity and power that my head has, he still manages to cut through pretty well and get a decent tone from it. The suggestions that guitarguru777 gave are pretty spot on. I know alot of people like that scooped midrange sound but the lack of mids are really going to inhibit your ability to cut through especially if you're using a very saturated distorted tone. I think if you just try tweaking it a bit, cut back a bit on the distortion and crank the midrange (and volume) up then you might have more success. Good luck.

Also, from my experience, most B-52 cabinets sound pretty decent. No it's not on par with a Mesa cabinet or something of that caliber but it should be okay enough. I also agree that the B-52 heads will give you a bit more bang for your buck compared to the budget model Line 6 amps.