Linking Modes?

herzblutx88

New Metal Member
Jul 13, 2004
Can someone tell me a way to link modes together in a way that would sound could? Particularly the phrigian and aeolian for something sounding dark.

Well, Theoretically, the Ionian (Major), Dorian, Phyrigian, Lydian, Aeolian (Minor), Mixolydian, Locrian modes are all the same thing just starting on a different note of the scale...

I.E

In C Major

C - Ionian
D - Dorian
E - Phyrigian
F - Lydian
G - Aeolian
A - Mixolydian
B Locrian (Atonal)

They all contain the same notes, CDEFGAB but each mode starts on each note of the scale.

To this, i say, learn every mode all the way up the neck so you know the whole Major/Minor scale of the desired note. (I used C cause its easiest)

C Major, is relative to A Minor (same notes, but it starts on the A (ABCDEFG) so if you know C Major up the neck, you know A minor.

I know this answer hasn't really tackled your problem, but if you know the Major/Minor scale ALL THE WAY up the neck, you can move horizontally between the scales i.e

(C MAJOR EXAMPLE, Tuned EADGBE)

---------------------------------5-6-8-6-5-----------------
---------------------------4-6-8-----------8-6-4------------
---------------------2-4-5------------------------7-5-3------
---------------2-4-5-------------------------------------
--------0-2-3---------------------------------------------
--0-1-3---------------------------------------------------
Phyrigian (Cross Lydian) Aeolian

Notice you're moving to the Phyrigian from the Aeolian by using the F Lydian as a "go between". The notes are comon in every mode so there is no Off sound as you move and you can ascent part of the phyrigian and then descend the aeolian smoothly.

Well what I think might sound more interesting than just changing the note you start on change the accidentals. So lets say you start in A minor (aeolean) then flat the B so you get A phrygian. If that is what your talking about or if it makes sense or not.