links

@qrv: hehe, yes, i wanted to post the same video. i remember a couple of priceless comments from our national equivalents of miss south carolina - during the miss italia contest of some years ago, one of the contestants actually said that her goal in life was to foster the achievement of world peace through love and sex :p

The link hasn't even fully loaded, and I have a feeling I know where this is going.

It's really a shame. As much as I hated the guy for playing with my mind between the good books, the bad books, and then the good again, I did still enjoy the world he had crafted.

And to reply to that silent inquiry: I'm guessing they'll tie up everything? It'll be tough.

~kov.

Apparently, he's "told the whole story" to Harriet and Wilson about a month ago. I assume there's too much money involved in this and they'll eventually publish a full-fledged novel instead of a collection of notes.

As far as tying up loose ends goes, I lost hope long ago, even before knowing about RJ's health. It's out of the question: there are way too many details unclear or mysterious, the conclusion is bound to disappoint. Still, knowing it's not really what he would have written makes things even worse. Also, no matter how many people ask for an answer about those loose ends aferwards, now there's no chance of ever getting a reply.

I figured that we'd never get a total resolution to every plot - there were just too many, and without a doubt he'd forgotten more of them than we'd ever know. But my issue is that I can't imagine that the book will stay that faithful to his past works. No matter how well he explained the story, the intent and nuances will be lost, and that's part of my issue with it. I'll read it. No doubt about that. I've read too many pages to back out at this point. But it just won't be the same.

Though it reminded me of one of my favorite comic panels of all time: http://www.homeonthestrange.com/view.php?ID=126 (the last panel - it stands by itself). Just the sheer impossibility of it is great. Although, I will say, Martin isn't afraid to end a plot line by killing someone. I wish Jordan had picked up on that quite a ways back.

~kov.

Video of Burj dubai: the worlds tallest building.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5LjTWSKbfiU

And it's not even finished.

I have an intense phobia of tall structures like this. anyone know what a phobia of big buildings and stuff is? I wanna know ways to kill it.
Wow, that thing is immense. It's amazing how small the skyscrapers look compared to it. And the guy was totally shitting his pants, even though he wasn't afraid of heights.

@KC: are you afraid of buildings or heights? i haven't heard of a buildings' phobia before.

Video of Burj dubai: the worlds tallest building.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5LjTWSKbfiU

And it's not even finished.

I have an intense phobia of tall structures like this. anyone know what a phobia of big buildings and stuff is? I wanna know ways to kill it.

Well, Id shit my pants. I discovered I have the same thing when we were in Bern Alps, on Sphinx Terrase at Jungfraujoch. The thing was, the floor underneath my feet was see-through and I could see the whole abyss of 350 m below my feet. Thats what cracked me. I couldnt move. Im not afraid of heights when standing on top of a mountain, on firm ground, but when its something artificial, like a steel see-through floor of a construction, I go nuts.

Btw. Dubai seems to be a terrible place, its like a sand pit. Everything covered in sand, the air seemed really dirty. But Im sure theyll figure out a solution for that, theyre crazy enough.