List of good quality IRs available for Purchase

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
EDIT: I've Updated the List with the ones that I either forgot, or did not know about, and that you listed below.

I've looked around the forum and haven't found a list. I thought it could be useful... not that many newcomers but still, you never know.

And as a matter of fact, I would find this quite useful myself, as I still haven't found IRs that I really like. The ones I have are all good, don't get me wrong. Just doesn't exactly fit my taste. So I was hoping to make some nice discoveries, with people adding to the list stuff that I maybe don't know.

I've yet to try Fat Lazy Cab and Celestion IRs.

- OwnHammer
- 3 Sigma Audio
- RedWireZ
- Two Notes Wall of Sound
- Fat Lazy Cab
- Rosen Digital
- Recabinet
- Celestion (CelestionPlus)
- Kalthallen Cabs
- Valhall IR
- Joey Sturgis
- FrankTheSmith

Last edited:
FLC is amazing – it is my go-to IR library. I bought one of the Celestion packs (the redback) and was not impressed with it. They sounded tubby no matter what I adjusted on the amp sim and guitar. I know they're supposed to be more raw than many of the "mix ready IRs" out there, but the raw sound was not pleasant at all, not a good starting point.

I tried out the free Celestion IR and I was not a fan at all. It sounded super fizzy and thin.

FLC is amazing – it is my go-to IR library. I bought one of the Celestion packs (the redback) and was not impressed with it. They sounded tubby no matter what I adjusted on the amp sim and guitar. I know they're supposed to be more raw than many of the "mix ready IRs" out there, but the raw sound was not pleasant at all, not a good starting point.

Well good to know, I might not spend much time testing the Celestion stuff.

My personal impressions when testing some of the IRs listed is:

- OwnHammer: Good quality, great sound, but for some reason, it sounds like it has less gain than most other IRs=. Could be because of the neutral power amp they use to make them.
- 3 Sigma Audio: Feels a bit "too much", for my own taste. Really fat sounding, but almost too fat. I don't have a better word to explain it sadly. Plus, they only include a few IRs (position). You don't get multiple mics or anything. Definitely not great if you want to experiment.
- Rosen Digital : Same thing as 3 Sigma. They just give you 3 IRs or 5? You can't choose mics, etc. Good if you don't want to experiment. Bad if you want to try different things.
- Wall of Sound: Probably the ones I prefer from the ones I have tried. For my own taste, I'd say there is a little je-ne-sais-quoi missing.

FLC is definitely something I want to try. I'm crossing my fingers it will have the character I'm looking for (but that I have so much difficulty explaining in words!)

I really stick with Recab with the 421 and 121 on the green cab. There is a "dynamics" item which does things (speaker resonances, or breakup?) that adds a little bit of movement to the tracks

Reactions: Old Man Doom

FLC?

don't forget these, IMHO the best soundig IR's besides 3Sigma Audio and Rosen Digital

http://valhallir.at/

Hey thanks for mentioning them. I had heard about them somewhere, but never thought about checking them out. They are on the expensive side, plus the website is in german only it seems, but...!

Their IRs are really nice. I purchased the ENGL cab and the Mesa OS and wow. It is as you say, they are quite fat sounding, similar to 3Sigma or Rosen, however, you can really experiment, since the package includes a bunch of different IRs. I'd like to find a manual to understand what all they mean (A1, A2, B2, etc.), but just browsing through them quickly, you can really get sick tones with them.

Reactions: FIXXXER
Hey thanks for mentioning them. I had heard about them somewhere, but never thought about checking them out. They are on the expensive side, plus the website is in german only it seems, but...!

Their IRs are really nice. I purchased the ENGL cab and the Mesa OS and wow. It is as you say, they are quite fat sounding, similar to 3Sigma or Rosen, however, you can really experiment, since the package includes a bunch of different IRs. I'd like to find a manual to understand what all they mean (A1, A2, B2, etc.), but just browsing through them quickly, you can really get sick tones with them.

A, B, C and D stands for the individual speaker, A=top left, B=top right, C=bottom right, D=bottom left!

1=direct agressive tone
2=balanced
3= open "light"

RAW= raw IR's
MP= minimal phase, which are more suitable for mixing

hope this helps! :)

A, B, C and D stands for the individual speaker, A=top left, B=top right, C=bottom right, D=bottom left!

1=direct agressive tone
2=balanced
3= open "light"

RAW= raw IR's
MP= minimal phase, which are more suitable for mixing

hope this helps! :)

It actually helps a lot. Thanks very much man! This is all I needed to know I think!

Reactions: FIXXXER