Listen to my Drum Mix

Sep 19, 2006
www.soundclick.com/delosgermaine

I just layed down some rough drums to work on getting good tone. My highest tom (10") sounds bad, i just need to turn it up and turn down some high end on it. I hate the snare sound I have, please help me out with that, I mic'd the top and bottom, walnut snare with no ringer.

Your help is wanted! Thanks

Edit: I don't like how my toms sound in general, like KFC buckets. I used MD421's.

Kick might be a bit too clicky. It doesn't really have alot of the lowend punch towards the end of the track (get's lost in the mix). The snare soudns thin. Have you compressed it? How have you EQ'd it? Sounds like it needs some body brought in by slaming and EQ to taste.
The toms have lots of "cardboard" in them. Use an EQ to sweep the low mids and find where each tom has it's muddy region, then cut it. Some high shelf on the toms and some compression to thicken them up wouldn't hurt either.
The over heads sound pretty good, you could even turn them up in the mix a tad.
Overall I think the raw sounds are quite workable, it'll just take some messing around to get the most out of them.

Pretty cool stuff, actually! I really like the snare. It could use a touch more bottom end, but I love the overall attack. Sounds like something you'd hear on a late 80s' thrash record by Gothic Slam or some other obscure act. (You know how I like old school sounds!)
Overheads... there seem to be some imaging issues I'm not hearing anything from the far left speaker in the overheads. They almost seem mono except for the ride in the right.

Toms: A good start. Try scooping some lower mids & rolling off from 100 -50hz from highest tom to lowest. That & have the drummer hit them HARDER. A little verb wouldn't hurt either.

Kick... a little more bottom wouldn't hurt. It does sound a little "plastic" too... what kind of kick mic are you using? Beater type? You could try wood beaters. Great attack & a very cool sound.

BTW, the guitars were great! What kind of amp/signal chain did you use?

-0z-

Thanks oz i really appreciate it. I re did the drum mix a couple days ago and im really happy with the progress. Its a Wave file so it cant post it on soundclick, so when i put it to an mp3 ill post the new one up. My overheads are pretty cheap i want to get a new pair, maybe the rode nt5's. Should I invest in SD or LD though?

Guitars: Schecter C1-elite - EMG's - Orange Rockerverb 50 - Mesa 4x12 - BBE Sonic Maximizer - ART Tube Pre. No plug in's on the guitar, just minor EQ. I scooped 800 and 240 by like 1db. and i low passed i think....11000hz to get rid of like air noise and shit

You've gotta filter those overheads aggresively. Give them a generous high shelf at around 2-3k or just do a wide band boost at around 8-9k. Or both, haha.

The kick has potential. Best part of the drum sound. Doesn't sound too bad as it is.

The snare is too roomy and lacking in any sort of body. You've gotta try to get some lows into it. At the moment it may as well be a wood-block.

You've gotta compress those toms aggresively. Slam the living shit out of them. Then start scooping, from high to low at around 450Hz and decrease the frequency you scoop with how low in pitch the tom itself is. After you've taken out the boomy crap in them, boost the sub-lows as much as you can without making them boomy... this is an artform... toms want to go out of control, but you need to dominate them and rattle your balls when they're played. After this, get some attack into them. Boost anywhere from 5 to 8k. Maybe get some air into them as well, boost at 10k or so, or just a general high-shelf will liven them up.

Good luck.