Chimaira (Resurrection) drum sound

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
After a whole year I'm still listening to this album I'm still very curious about the sound of the drums, for me, these are still the best recorded drums on a metal album, with Doomsday close on 2nd place.

I know there are tom samples of the Chimaira kit, but I'm also really curious about the snare.

But to first return to the toms. I've got a Pearl mmx, Sennheiser MD421, and when I run it through a RME octamic, I don't even come a little bit close to the tom sound of the Chimaira album. What preamps and eq were used in the end to get that perfect punchiness and cleaness to the toms?

I think the snare has got a nice "crack" to it. So I'm really curious if it's 100% natural, or 50/50 and where the sample came from if it was sampled.

I'll probally don't get answer to most the questions above here. But still, any small info would help to get closer to a perfect drum sound.

Agreed on the drumsound. I watch the DVD that came with the album often and am still amazed by the drum sections. You briefly see Andy tuning the toms, I think it's just his magic touch or the way he points his tongue. :lol: I am pretty sure there is a trigger sitting on the snare, can't remember seeing any on the toms (and we know that they were natural, so that's confidence right there not to even set triggers up on them).

Agreed on the drumsound. I watch the DVD that came with the album often and am still amazed by the drum sections. You briefly see Andy tuning the toms, I think it's just his magic touch or the way he points his tongue. :lol: I am pretty sure there is a trigger sitting on the snare, can't remember seeing any on the toms.

Yeah I also watched it again last night. Snare trigger could as wel have been used for the gate.
I'm still figuring about those toms, they sound so perfect on this recording, just amazing! It's nice to have samples, but it would be better to get close to that sound by yourself. I'm sometimes just thinking that I really need to upgrade my pre-amps to maybe get a bit towards that direction, and offcourse I probally need more years of experience :) this also didn't come in 1 day for Andy...

honestly, when it comes down to it, i think the preamps are going to be the last thing in the entire signal chain that's going to make a difference when it comes to tracking toms...much like with distorted guitars

i would venture to say that the drum itself, the heads, the tuning, the player, the room, the mic, and its position are all going to have more of an impact on the sound than which pre is used

^ +1
The room is quite an important thing and you can't just buy one that sounds like the one used for Chimaira's drums.