little project of mine

bodom578

Jul 31, 2005
hey i've actually been a member for a while, very rarely post though.

but i figured this would be the best place to share this.

i did a little project trying to see if i could get some good bodom tones. i used an ada MP-1 and a lee jackson GP-1000, i layered them both together and i like the results. i'd like to see what you guys here think.

complete list of gear used-

ibanez RG2550z

Lee Jackson GP-1000 (88 model)

ADA MP-1

Rocktron Velocity 120

ampeg VL cabinet

mic'd with a AKG perception 100

Boss SD-1

i just played "sixpounder" through to the chorus, yes there are alot of mistakes....i put it together pretty quick and couldn't remember exactly whatparts each guitar played...mixing's not to top notch either...but oh well, enjoy

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6817648

Not bad, dude.

I would say the amps are a little too overdriven. Take the gain down a lot more to give it a more COB style "dry" tone. I actually have both ADA-MP1 & 1988 GP-1000 myself and I'd say that I think you'll get a better tone if you double track the Lee Jackson preamp only, because of it's tone. The MP1 has never really given me "that" sound that I hear instantly when I'm plugged into the GP-1000.

cool thanks for advice warheart, a comment and a quick question.

adding the MP-1 was mainly just for kicks, just thought it'd be fun to see how it sounds

and would you suggest not using the SD-1 on the GP-1000? the reason i use it is cause i don't have a preamp booster, so i was using that to i guess compensate you could say. and i've seen alexi use the SD-1 so i figured that'd be a good replacement.

Personally, I wouldn't use the SD-1 with the GP-1000, no.

I have a gainboost on my guitar (EMG PA-2) but it actually ruins the sound if I switch it on, so I leave it off at all times. Adding a distortion pedal would be the same thing so I'd say, if you were going to re-record the clip as another sound test, use the GP-1000 only and take away the pedal. We have a gear thread here for useful information regarding all of Alexi's stuff used on all albums with COB & Sinergy, and also his settings for the preamp. Everything is in the first post.

Alexi Laiho's GP-1000 Preamp Settings

• Volume - Full
• Distortion - Full & pulled
• Treble - Full
• Mid - Full
• Mid shift - 3
• Bass - 9 O'Clock
• Output 2 is used (more bass), and is set to 11 O'Clock.

Good luck!

Not bad, dude.

I would say the amps are a little too overdriven. Take the gain down a lot more to give it a more COB style "dry" tone. I actually have both ADA-MP1 & 1988 GP-1000 myself and I'd say that I think you'll get a better tone if you double track the Lee Jackson preamp only, because of it's tone. The MP1 has never really given me "that" sound that I hear instantly when I'm plugged into the GP-1000.

+1

Very over driven, I'm actually reminded more of Lamb of God or Killswitch when i hear it. maybe dial down the gain on the ADA, and use it more to color the tone in places the GP won't get to. Definately more mids and trebs though, for sure. I make a pretty decent tone on my Line 6, POD Pro, I use the soldano models and kick up the mids. it's actually more like motley crue, but it's tears it up for most kinds of thrash metal.