Live clean sound

elapidae1

Jul 4, 2009
Ok i need help with effects for clean guitar (live not recording).
I play mostly testament/nevermore/megadeth type music.

Effects i use now are delay and chorus.
But should i use anything like a phaser, reverb, compressor?

Also my guitar has an emg sa in the neck that i use. Looking to get emgs for my jackson rr. But what is a good neck pup for both lead and clean?

I think you're fine with the effects you already have. To be honest,I don't like chorus so much for these kind of clean tones,but a slight delay is great i think. As for the pickups, The Emg 85 and 60 are really good and they are pretty standard choices. I haven't played with the 89 or the SA, so can't really comment on them.

What don't you like about the tone you have? It's probably best to start with no effects, and make sure it sounds the way you want. The bands you mentioned generally use their clean tones for arpeggiation rather than strumming, so make sure the note clarity is there. FWIW, my clean tone has a flange and a bit of delay and verb. I used to compress it pretty heavily, but I have backed it off more and more so the pick sound comes across better.

Get a g-major or something like that and step through the presets.
Seems that you don't really know what youre after... So you should buy a multi(maybe an cheap used one for 30 bucks) and check all the effects to see what you really need for YOUR tone and then buy good single pedals or a good multi.

Greetz

I do like the clean tone on my amp. But i have never been one to use the clean channel. But these days i am starting to use it more in my playing. So really have no idea what most ppl use to get a nice clean tone for arpeggiated stuff (not really doing any strumming)

I use my delay alot like Eric Perterson these days. Where i put it in the loop and leave it on always. Its on everything i play. I just dont know what other fx to use for getting a nice clean.

I like to have a clean tone and a dirt tone. Then just boost a little for leads. At present im using a Hardwire CM-2 on my gain channel and really diggin it.

Main thing is i dont know weather i need to use any compressor, reverb, phaser type effects?

Phaser can be nice but I like it in front of the amp rather than in the loop. I'd always stick most modulation after delay in the loop but phaser is an exception. I also need to get a compressor just for consistency live, but overcompressed cleans really irritate me. That's another effect I prefer in the front. Flanger and Tremolo are nice too but my favorite on cleans is definitely a vibrato. The Behringer UV-300 (Boss VB-2 clone) is a particularly nice pedal. If you suffer from Behrphobia the Danelectro Chicken Salad and Cool Cat Vibe are also nice, but I'd never buy them new. You can say what you want about Mr. Behringer but next to Dano he's a saint.

Oh and I'm a reverb junkie. I really want an Eventide Space (although I have 2 rack reverbs and a pedal or two).

Try the chorus after delay in the loop, unless your delay has modulation, you might like the effect that gives, especially if the chorus unit has a dry/wet mix knob ;)

I only have very slight chorus on my clean. I prefer to keep the delay in the loop and everything else in front, so i can control them.