Live Damage - Worth The Buy?

The Moonshield

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2006
Alright, I know that this is blasphemy for a DT fan, but I don't have and have never seen "Live Damage." Several reviews I've read have said the sound is out of sync with the video for at least the second half, and several other problems were mentioned. Because of this, I've been a little hesitant to buy it.

What I want to know is: are there any problems with the DVD, and if so, do those problems really matter? Do they ruin the viewing experience or does the DVD still own?

The main feature itself (Krakow Poland show) is basically Dark Tranquillity shot with high production values and audibly clear well recorded songs, but there's very little atmosphere at the venue and because of that DT don't seem to thrive in the ways we're used to seeing. The sound goes out of sync briefly, but it's not unbareable and only noticeable when Mikael's mouth isn't moving right. It's not as good as it could've been, but it's still worth the £15 I paid for it.

To be honest, it's worth getting for the extra features. Alot of bootleg footage of DT's coolest songs. It's far rougher than the main feature, but there's more atmosphere for sure and it's a more organic depiction of DT live.

Yeah, pick it up. The main feature definitely lacks atmosphere, but it is worth the purchase. I thought the interview (albeit derivative) was kind of cool, and along with the awesome bootlegs there are a couple music vids (nothing newer than Projector stuff though).

Polish people aren't much into melodeath such as Dark Tranquillity... they need something much much heavier such as Behemoth and Gorgoroth. Personally, I don't enjoy seeing the official concert they did because the audience are just ''dead''. On the other hand the bootlegs are kick-ass. Why didn't they just do it in Gothenburg? That'll be the best place for everything. It's their hometown. I'd recommend you buy it... at least the performance is great. I heard that DT were going to shoot a DVD sometime earlier in Wacken I think... What happened? Why did they cancel it?

For what it's worth, Live Damage is - despite all its flaws - my favorite music DVD. Yet, I'd like DT to record a new DVD sometime in the future.

I heard that DT were going to shoot a DVD sometime earlier in Wacken I think... What happened? Why did they cancel it?

Believe it or not, but according to what Niklas posted earlier on the DT website, the film crew was on a break during DT's performance. :zombie:

-Villain

atmosphere is not the one you get by seeing them live or watching a bootleg. sound quality is good though.. audience is probably the coldest I've ever seen.. nothing against polish people.. but maybe the right idea was shooting it in italy (or montreal) to get a decent audience reaction..

anyway I think it's worth buying it :)

The main feature itself (Krakow Poland show) is basically Dark Tranquillity shot with high production values and audibly clear well recorded songs, but there's very little atmosphere at the venue and because of that DT don't seem to thrive in the ways we're used to seeing. The sound goes out of sync briefly, but it's not unbareable and only noticeable when Mikael's mouth isn't moving right. It's not as good as it could've been, but it's still worth the £15 I paid for it.

To be honest, it's worth getting for the extra features. Alot of bootleg footage of DT's coolest songs. It's far rougher than the main feature, but there's more atmosphere for sure and it's a more organic depiction of DT live.

I totally agree. It seems you are watching a long TV appearance, not a metal gig. People in the audience don´t seem metal fans just regular people with wigs and black shirts. Extra footage is far better. Paris gig got the atmosphere. Sound´s not as good (obviously) but it owns the real deal with DT live.

In any case, I still long for an amazing DVD from the best band in the last 15 years.

Believe it or not, but according to what Niklas posted earlier on the DT website, the film crew was on a break during DT's performance. :zombie:
What??? Are you serious? :err:

About the DVD... I think it's 110% worth it. I mean... They are DT! :headbang:
dark_tranquillity_1_matti.jpg

This DVD can't be overly expensive, so what's the question here, really?

I totally agree. It seems you are watching a long TV appearance, not a metal gig. People in the audience don´t seem metal fans just regular people with wigs and black shirts.

It was shot in the local TV studio, so no wonder. And that is regular Polish metal crowd (well, as I know it) - they DO wear wigs sometimes :D

Anathema recorded a vision of a dying embrace at the same studio in Krakow and it was packed. They also included some footage from another more recent gig there on A moment in Time... and same again, it was packed. Anathema are alot softer than DT too. Maybe DT played on a tuesday or something unsociable.

Anathema recorded a vision of a dying embrace at the same studio in Krakow and it was packed. They also included some footage from another more recent gig there on A moment in Time... and same again, it was packed. Anathema are alot softer than DT too. Maybe DT played on a tuesday or something unsociable.

I guess they are more into Vader/Behemoth extreme metal or something doooooomy, I'd say, so dt didn't fit into either. Lack of promotion could be present as well.

If dt is in town - teh day can't be unsociable. And polaks drink 7 days a week.

The only issue with DVD for me is strobe-like lightning - my eyes hurt. Shut.

on my dvd, sometimes the sound get louder, sometimes less loud, without that I change it.

I think they recorded it in krakow because of the equipement /infrastructure over there. Mybe it was cheaper to record it over there than to import recording material in a concerthall in Gothenburg? (as not so many people seem to know DT, maybe Century Media didnt want to spend much money for the dvd?)

This DVD can't be overly expensive, so what's the question here, really?

It was shot in the local TV studio, so no wonder. And that is regular Polish metal crowd (well, as I know it) - they DO wear wigs sometimes :D

Yeah, I know it was shot in the local TV studio like Anathema´s, Rotting Christ´s or Samael´s DVD but only in Anathema´s DVD audience shows a little interest. In my opinion, the difference between DT performance and, for instance, Samael or Rotting Christ is that DT didn´t feel influenced by the poor reactions. However, if you watch Rotting Christ or Samael they seemed boring playing their songs. That´s why I´d recomend buying "Live damage" besides the extra footage.

It´s quite weird ´cause polish fans use to be dedicated at least if we´re talking about death metal like any of you have said.