Live pitch correction/processing

guitarguru777 said:
THIS times infinity!

cant do it on stage then get the fuck off of it! Thats bullshit you can in the studio but cant live ... FUCK THAT ... Dumbest gayest fucking thing I have ever heard. LIVE you arent supposed to sound EXACTLY like the CD WTF is the point of going to a concert if everything is pitch corrected to death. Might as well just play the CD through a big PA and say "OMG WERE PLAYING LIVE"

Fuck every band in the world that does this bullshit. YOU ALL FUCKING SUCK!

Knew before I opened this thread I'd see this
+1 still though

I setup a lot of those DirecTV concert series things on the DVR and there are always huge artists using auto tune. The two off the top of my head is REO Speedwagon and Toto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00QCRuxDlcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeM7yYJ54CU

OT: Leland Sklar is the shit. He's the Devin Townsend of his generation (in appearance only)

220px-Leland_Sklar_August_2007.jpg

I setup a lot of those DirecTV concert series things on the DVR and there are always huge artists using auto tune. The two off the top of my head is REO Speedwagon and Toto.

I just listented to the Toto clip and the singing sounds horrible because the auto-tuning is so obvious!

If this is spreading more and more it really makes me sad!

Can I just point out that a DVD (or even live TV) mix and a FOH mix are not the same thing at all and are processed totally differently by different people on different boards with different racks in different rooms. If you take your cues about FOH processing from DVD's you are way off base.

If I wanted to hear a corrected performance i'd buy the album. What's the point of playing live if you're just gonna correct it.

IMO I think a band should strive to give their best performance regardless of what methods they use to achieve it. Why is it cheating to use auto-tune live but perfectly acceptable for big names to use it in the studio? If a band puts on a great live show that will motivate me to buy their album. Why should they have to be sloppy just because it's apparently morally wrong to use these tools used frequently in the studio in a live setting?

And p.s I'm not talking about bands who just plain fucking suck they have no excuse, but bands who are already good and just want to tighten things up for their live show.

IMO I think a band should strive to give their best performance regardless of what methods they use to achieve it. Why is it cheating to use auto-tune live but perfectly acceptable for big names to use it in the studio? If a band puts on a great live show that will motivate me to buy their album. Why should they have to be sloppy just because it's apparently morally wrong to use these tools used frequently in the studio in a live setting?

And p.s I'm not talking about bands who just plain fucking suck they have no excuse, but bands who are already good and just want to tighten things up for their live show.

huge +1!

Can I just point out that a DVD (or even live TV) mix and a FOH mix are not the same thing at all and are processed totally differently by different people on different boards with different racks in different rooms.

Sometimes in different countries, with different musicians on them.

+1.

I think it is sad for music when people called "musicians" start using these technologies and start graving the music itself. That's why the music is dying. I talk about real music. I don't care of the silly and shitty commercial pop and all that kind of stuff. I want to hear a real singer without pitch software helping him/her live or in the studio. Any real music lover should think as me.
Why don't let a computer, using algorithmics, make the whole album for you and you sign it?
If anytime I had the time, luck, and muse inspiration to release and album; I will put a sticker on it saying... "No pitch correction was used in this album"

Plenty of "live" records have overdubs and fixes that occur after the fact in the studio. Sometimes these are played by session musicians just like sometimes members of the band aren't the actual guys playing on studio records. This was a quite popular technique in the 80's but it certainly still exists.

Plenty of "live" records have overdubs and fixes that occur after the fact in the studio. Sometimes these are played by session musicians just like sometimes members of the band aren't the actual guys playing on studio records. This was a quite popular technique in the 80's but it certainly still exists.

That was way more self-explanatory than I realized. :erk:

Can't believe that didn't occur to me, seeing as how I've been a part of both situations.

Can I just point out that a DVD (or even live TV) mix and a FOH mix are not the same thing at all and are processed totally differently by different people on different boards with different racks in different rooms. If you take your cues about FOH processing from DVD's you are way off base.

I'm aware of this, but to me it seems they didn't get dry vocal tracks, when singing with correction you have to kind of 'play' it like an instrument, and hopefully whoever was mixing didn't slap that shit on after the fact thinking it sounds 'good'. shit sounds nasty!

Also, on some of these concerts, it is extremely hard to believe there was more than a quick mix afterwards, some of these tv mixes are absolute shit.

Multi-national companies who offer "concert to disk" services often mix to 2 track during the show.
They're mixing in remote location vehicles, with a split of what's happening on stage.

Concert DVDs are often a split from the loom, taken to a hard disk recorder (or similar). May have access to DIs. Completely dry signals, with no processing what so ever, often mixed in recording or mixing studios by engineers who can do the usual editing, processing and mix for as long as they like (or can get).

I don't know too much about the TV mix - but I wouldn't be surprised if they were given 10am-2pm slot in the engineers daily schedule to mix. TV usually has really quick turn around, and it's destined for the high fidelity release medium of TV*.

Some of you guys would shit your pants if you knew what really went on at shows! :Spin:
It totally sucks, but fortunately I don't have to be the FOH engineers for any of the bands I could mention. It's not a surprise music has went to the wall - but it is a business.

*this statement is full of irony and sarcasm.

I'm aware of this, but to me it seems they didn't get dry vocal tracks, when singing with correction you have to kind of 'play' it like an instrument, and hopefully whoever was mixing didn't slap that shit on after the fact thinking it sounds 'good'. shit sounds nasty!

Also, on some of these concerts, it is extremely hard to believe there was more than a quick mix afterwards, some of these tv mixes are absolute shit.
Even if it's a "live" to tape mix on the fly it's still off of a snake split before processing. No broadcast mixer (however shitty) wants to be at the mercy of EQ/comp/tuning/fx/gain changes made by the FOH guy in the middle of songs. It just doesn't really happen except at the lowest club level. That said neither of us were there so it's pointless to speculate too much, but IME it just doesn't happen other than taking a board feed in addition to the split.

I don't consider it "cheating" but I feel that using auto-tune is suuuper lame. .. in the sense that any "good" singer doesn't need it/shouldn't need it

Even in the studio.. I hate having to use auto-tune but my pitch isn't quite there yet, however it's been getting better and every new song I make I use less and less. On the most recent one I didn't use any and it's going to stay that way even though auto-tune would help a couple things.

Maybe its a personal thing but I'd much rather listen to a record/see a show that's a little 'raw' than one that's perfect with auto-tune. I'd rather see the real thing than get a fake one but business is business