Live sound guys - how do find work?

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Ok so recently I've been considering trying my hand at doing live sound in the various clubs around town here in Austin. I've done some rudimentary live setup before, mostly just micing my own amp and drums in a rehearsal room and it always seemed fun and not too terribly difficult since you're just getting the best out of whatever the band has, which sometimes isn't much.

Anyway I was wondering if I should just go around to the clubs and ask the bartender or the current sound guy if they need any help :lol:, or print up a card, or put an ad out on CL? Is it tough to get into this type of thing? I want to try something like this to see if it would be a good part time bit of income, and there are plenty of small clubs around here.

The hardest thing to do is get your foot in the door. If you have any bands you've dealt with in the studio, or any friends in bands, perhaps hit them up, see if you can mix them.

If you can pull a good mix, you'll pick up work - could be for a venue, promoter or band. Naturally, once you start building a reputation your client base will grow. Once you're in a good position with clients and happy with your mixes, you can look into dropping some cash into a good live mic kit, making yourself even more desirable as a touring engineer.

It's all about making connections. I work at a very nice venue simply because I showed up and asked the production crew if they needed help. I started in april and show up every time they need me and bust my ass making sure things get done, you need to be able to do more than just mixing. If I'm mixing, it's monitors and when I'm not doing that I am doing everything else.

I don't see how you can get started in this without being a jack of all trades type of person. Personally, I don't know much at all about lighting, but would like to know so I can understand where LD's are coming from when they have a problem etc...

Through this job, I met another guy that does a LOT of festival work and through him I met a guy that does monitors a lot of festivals. I am damn well going to try and get involved with them and line that work up if possible. There is no easy way, you just have to throw yourself into the fire and you either get burned to crisp or you come out the other side slightly charred but with a better understanding of how to deal with shit next time it happens (it will happen).

Flexibility is key as well, you may have everything setup and ready to go, but as soon as the band rolls in the whole damn game changes and your dealing with mismatched channels and soft patching BULLSHIT and incorrect input lists and broken in ear systems and people unplugging shit for no reason (monitors lol) and ETC....

The #1 thing is BE COOL and do whatever you can to make everyone happy. After dealing with so many asshole nonprofessional musicians, it is a HUGE breath of fresh air to step into this 'pro' arena and realize that these guys are all cool as shit. So far I have not worked with a dickhead yet and I am so thankful for that.

Our sound guy/ one of my best mates has began to make quite a name for himself!
I honestly out it down to 3 key things. 1. He's a fucking HARD worker and pulls amazing live mixes. 2. He's a really nice guy and easy to work with, which is very important because bands are usually arrogant and hard to deal with :p and 3. Word of mouth. When the bands he mixes talk to other bands they always recommend him. You just gotta find a few bands willing to give you a go etc :)

Yes, without experience and knowing people it is very hard to find work.

It's all about networking and word of mouth. Every single gig I've had has been a recommendation when someone has asked for a good sound engineer. Find a good engineer and go work with him for free. Get good and maybe you'll eventually get subbed in to work some gigs.

It's worth contacting the sound contractors in the area too. You won't get mixing gigs right away but doing one off's is a great way to learn how different systems work, the quirks of different boards and how different boxes react.