Live theatrics and such

rapucore

i really hate spiders
Feb 25, 2013
FIN
Hey guys! :kickass:

Interested in how you go about using stage props and what are your general stage maneuvers, presence etc.

Huge backdrops, smaller drops on stage, flaming dragons jumping out of the PA shooting free merch and 100 dollar bills carried by leprechauns (maybe not?) etc. ? Some believe in only having the band go wild and rock out (not with their cocks out) which is perfectly fine.

Anyone have stuff like Mayhem's Attila Csihar hanging himself, singing to a skull etc., Bruce Dickinson running around with a flag and stuff like that?

Interested in what you guys do in your gigs and tours!

No worries, won't steal your stuff, my group has it's own stuff. :lol:

Also, what do you think makes seeing a bands show interesting? More so on the factors of a previously unkown band to you, what would catch your interest?

My band always performs in suits as if we were dressed for a funeral. Not the first or last band to do it but I think it works quite well with our music and improves the live show.

I've always wanted to shoot pizza out of t shirt guns, but haven't got to try it yet.

:lol:

My band always performs in suits as if we were dressed for a funeral. Not the first or last band to do it but I think it works quite well with our music and improves the live show.

Nice, what genre? And what's the name of your band? ;)

Haha we once put the audience on stage and played off stage in a venue for about 150 guests. So audience = stage prop

I would so love to add some theatrics and whatnot to our shows, but the sad fact is that to do it properly costs too much and requires someone with a keen eye for this sort of thing. I'd hate to have to leave it half-way, it would just look.. cheap :p So a backdrop and maybe a couple of banners/logosheets in front of cabs and that's it...

Here's our stage design - fits our space/astronaut theme pretty good! A 8x6m cloth banner in the back and two side scrims (also with cloth banners on them) We also have a small banner taped in front of the riser. It looks pretty good in real life, too!

schita5.jpg

:lol:Nice, what genre? And what's the name of your band? ;)

Band is called Hamferð, we play doom metal. Here's a video of a live performance two years ago:

We also have a backdrop sometimes, depending on the stage. It's a painting by the Faroese painter Mikines which is quite incredible imo.

samuel_joensen_mikines_8_st.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn!! I really enjoyed the song. Ten minutes passed way too quickly :(

EDIT: Looked you guys up on FB, will definitely be following the page. ;)

I used to jump into the crowd during hard mosh parts where there's no vocals, it was awesome and made a good part of the audience switch from "standing around listening to the music"
mode to participating/crazed more. would probably keep on doing it when i get a new band going.
I also always wanted to take a crate of the local cheap-ass beer, stick our band logo on the bottles (making it purposely obvious), announcing our bands official beer has been released and handing it out during the show :p never got to do it though...

I like the suit idea (being in a doom project of course :lol:). For me I usually go with a black button up short sleeve and dark grey pants with some black boots and try to play the best I can while getting into the music. I guess doing slow music is probably different than the fast stuff, but I was never really all that great at headbanging to the fast stuff I play as a guitarist and jumping around like a crazy fuck. Most of the bandmates I've had were a bit on the green side and just stood there all nervous while the drummer pushed the tempos way too much from anxiety. :lol:

I used to jump into the crowd during hard mosh parts where there's no vocals, it was awesome and made a good part of the audience switch from "standing around listening to the music"
mode to participating/crazed more. would probably keep on doing it when i get a new band going.
I also always wanted to take a crate of the local cheap-ass beer, stick our band logo on the bottles (making it purposely obvious), announcing our bands official beer has been released and handing it out during the show :p never got to do it though...

A friend of mine is a pretty legit home-brewer and I had him make up a couple cases of beer so my band could have a limited edition microbrew for an album release. People loved that shit, probably more than the album haha.