Loadbox + Mic'ing tone suck question (Rivera)

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
On the dual rectifier, we were never able to get a nice tone out of it, at "loud" bedroom levels. So we use a Rivera RockCrusher at -20dB setting, so we crank the master on the channels. At those high compression levels from the Rivera, we turn on the "Warm" and "Edge" switches. Tone is too dark otherwise, coming from the high compression.

That being said, when recording with a mic, we drop the RockCrusher to -8dB instead of -20dB, so it doesn't compress as much. It's a lot louder of course, but we want that for recording. Since it's not working as much, we turn off the edge and warm switches.

However, we can't quite get enough presence/high mids. To go around, it's either we push the presence on the Dual Rec to 12o'clock, which seems like a lot. And we also need to push the tone knob on the OD to maximum.

Or maybe use the Edge still, even though it is an artifice.

Was wondering what other people use, especially with a Dual Rectifier? We can't really bypass the Rock Crusher, because with the settings on the amp (I think the master is set to 10 to 11 o'clock), it's just ultra loud. Somebody will complaint that is for sure!

Maybe you are looking into wrong direction?
Try cut bass out of amp EQ, maybe even mids (experiment with subtracting lows instead adding highs). Try getting it right in room, because room probably build up lows making it sound too dark.

Maybe you are looking into wrong direction?
Try cut bass out of amp EQ, maybe even mids (experiment with subtracting lows instead adding highs). Try getting it right in room, because room probably build up lows making it sound too dark.

Interesting yes, you could be right. The room itself I know is definetely not optimal for recording. I'm working on a concept of isolation box for existing cabs. Working on 3D models at the moment. I'll probably post some screenshots in a near future here.

You also have a good point regarding lows. The other guitarist (who plays the Rectifier) really likes when it has a lot of bottom. His Low knob is at 2 o'clock, which is probably way too high as you point out. Sounds ok in the room, but it could build-up and overwhelm the mic.

Have you tried using the Rockcrusher as a load box D.I.'d with IR's? You might be surprised with how good they've gotten.

We have tried and yes, it sounds quite alright. It's just that even though it is added difficulty and experimentation, I like the fact that it really is "my tone". If that makes any sense at all...!