Purchasing an amp advice?

Just so I'm clear, Ironball 20W + 4X12 CAB (from either ENGL or Mesa) is around 2600 to 2800 CAD.

I'd say my budget is closer to 2000CAD.

I checked and the price of used stuff is almost the same price as new stuff. For example, a guy was selling a Powerball II + a 4X12 cab at 3000CAD. For new, you could find it at 3500.

But, that's how it is on the Canadian East Coast, we got expensive prices on everything. (A Toyota Corolla is probably 30% more expensive here)
what about 2x12? both mesa recto or engl 2x12 cabs are amazing!

they obviously doesn't have that much low end like 4x12s, but it's nothing that you cannot live without. some people prefer 2x12s over 4x12s, even for heavy styles

they obviously doesn't have that much low end like 4x12s, but it's nothing that you cannot live without. some people prefer 2x12s over 4x12s, even for heavy styles
Heck, John Petrucci uses 1x12 Mesa cabs.

Obviously my advice is being ignored by the OP, but if my advice helps anyone else, then it's all good.

To the OP: One last bit of advice and then you can write me off. Try before you buy, if you can.

Obviously my advice is being ignored by the OP, but if my advice helps anyone else, then it's all good.

To the OP: One last bit of advice and then you can write me off. Try before you buy, if you can.

Hey I'm not sure why you think I disregard your advice. I read all the replies and will consider everything that was said in my decision making process.

But regarding your post about going for a 1X12, I actually missed it when I refreshed the screen to see the new replies.

Sorry about that and thx for your input. It's much appreciated.

And to be honest, the more I read what you guys say and also think about it on my side, I should tell you that I tend to go toward what you proposed.

Ironball with smaller cab. So I do agree with you ;)

Those speakers in the Line 6 cab are very similar to Celestion 70/80s,and aren't guitar speakers designed to work with a tube amp like a V30 is.They are designed for a flat response for line 6 amps with cab modeling built in using a solid state power amp section.Here's a quote from Line 6:
"The Celestion G12P-80 8 ohm speakers were custom made for Line6 to provide a super flat response which allows the circuitry to "Model" different speakers and cabinet sounds. It is NOT 100% accurate but it is very close and the best type speakers to use if you want to use modeling amps live".

Those speakers in the Line 6 cab are very similar to Celestion 70/80s,and aren't guitar speakers designed to work with a tube amp like a V30 is.They are designed for a flat response for line 6 amps with cab modeling built in using a solid state power amp section.Here's a quote from Line 6:
"The Celestion G12P-80 8 ohm speakers were custom made for Line6 to provide a super flat response which allows the circuitry to "Model" different speakers and cabinet sounds. It is NOT 100% accurate but it is very close and the best type speakers to use if you want to use modeling amps live".
Another option for the OP would be to keep the Line 6 cab and buy an Axe-Fx II. It has some Engl amps in it (not to mention some other great metal amps as well). I myself have an Axe-Fx II and love it.

Another option for the OP would be to keep the Line 6 cab and buy an Axe-Fx II. It has some Engl amps in it (not to mention some other great metal amps as well). I myself have an Axe-Fx II and love it.

Well, though I am not an enemy of Axe-FX or Kemper stuff (some people seem to be), I would really like to get my first tube amp!

Nothing rational there, it's really a "feeling" thing!

But I must add that both these products are very nice

a 2x12 cab with celestion v30 or celestion century is a good compromise between tone and transportability, if you are worried by the weight, the size and the price of a 4x12.

Many thanks, that's very interesting.

Well, though I am not an enemy of Axe-FX or Kemper stuff (some people seem to be), I would really like to get my first tube amp!

Nothing rational there, it's really a "feeling" thing!

But I must add that both these products are very nice
That's cool. I totally understand. In fact, I think both are great and excel in certain situations over the other. I was excited about my first tube amp too. Enjoy it. :cool:

The sound is thinner, without lows and more fizzy, hum, feedbacks etc.
Much better a fireball 60 with the volume at 1 than a tiny terror with the volume at 8.

I don't mean to be a dick, but have you actually ever played a Fireball at volume 1 and a Tiny Terror at volume 8? They're completely different kind of amps to begin with. In fact, no Orange will sound anything like any Engl, disregard the wattage.

What comes to the cab, I'd probably go for a 2x12 in your situation. You can definitely use the additional low-end punch, since a 1x12 can be a bit on the thin/honky side for modern metal, especially with an amp with the character of an Engl. And if you'll be using the amp mostly at home and at small clubs, the 4x12 can be a bit overkill. I've owned the whole bunch, 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12, and trust me, before a 20 watter is moving serious air through a decent 4x12, it'll be loud as hell.

I have owned a fireball for 5 years, I have played the gigmaster 30, the mesa mini rectifier, the tiny terror, and so on. The smaller heads, when pushed, showed all their limits.

I have owned a fireball for 5 years, I have played the gigmaster 30, the mesa mini rectifier, the tiny terror, and so on. The smaller heads, when pushed, showed all their limits.

Here's the thing. They don't have to be pushed, unless you are playing a large outdoor show with no monitors and using a 1x12 cab. I've personally played an outdoor festival with a 50 watt Marshall head and 2x12 cab. The only thing that was mic'd was the vocals. I had no problems with tone and being heard over our loud heavy-handed drummer. However, our other guitarist was pissed because he brought a 1x12 combo and couldn't hear himself even when cranking it.

When we'd play indoor small club gigs, I'd bring my 1x12 Mesa F-30 combo. Again, there was one situation where this small venue only mic'd our vocals. In that situation, I was perfectly fine with the F-30 combo. I didn't have to push it and some of our crew, who followed us from show to show helping with setup, said that that was a really great sounding gig and mix, surprisingly.

Metal can be played and sound good on low wattage amps. It all depends on the size of the gig and the size of the speaker cabinet moving the air.

I also do want to say this. I started out with a 100-watt Marshall head and 4x12 cabinet because in my younger years that's what I thought was the "metal thing" to do. Of all the shows I've done, and I've done a piss load, there were only a few instances where I could justify having that big of a setup. One of those being an very large outdoor show with 3,000+ people (just checked the venue capacity and it's actually 2,400). Later on when I was playing indoor shows with the same large crowds (1,500 to 2,500), I had already gone down to a 2x12 cab and it worked perfectly. 99.9% of our shows later on in our career where professionally mic'd and monitored with side-stage mixing crew, plus the FOH mixing crew. I could drop my name and you'd probably give me more credibility, but I'd rather remain anonymous.

dude, I respect your opinion even if you don't drop your name. This doesn't mean I agree. I play with my band by 15 years, have done some european tour and many recordings, some more professionals, others less, so I've just said my experience. The only definitive way that Hugues can decide it's by going into a store and try each head at each volume level ;)

The only definitive way that Hugues can decide it's by going into a store and try each head at each volume level ;)

Not sure if the store owners will be happy with the volume, but yeah, that's what I told him earlier in this thread. Try before you buy, if you can. Personally I'd recommend a 2x12 cab for him, as far as cabs go. Regarding the amp and wattage, I've already expressed my opinion and will leave it up to him to decide for himself.