Local news

Anything to make it more difficult to get hold of this shit would be great. I think it is high time to ban adds for alcohol and cigarettes or forbid to put special offers on alcoholic beverages in supermarkets. Living in Berlin you see how it's getting out of hand on a daily basis.

Anything to make it more difficult to get hold of whatever you call it won't help you there. Experience in Finland shows that banning adds for alcohol and cigarettes does not affect consumption. Living in Helsinki you see it getting out of hand on a daily basis.

The only real effect is that people buy their booze in Tallinn and on the boat, leaving a gaping hole in domestic tax revenue. :p

This piece of news is loosely Amorphis related: Lasse Mårtenson, a famous Finnish singer-songwriter and father of Kasper, passed away today. He is well known for this song in particular, which was composed as the theme of a TV series of the same name.

My heart goes out to Kasper and his family today. :(

Lasse was one of few true greats in Finnish popular music. Thanks for that clip by the way - I should watch that series some day, it's a classic but I never got around to it. (Bit of trivia on the side, Amorphis actually used the part starting at 1:40 as their live intro for a while in the summer of 2007.)

In other news, Ms. Tuonelan's book has been out in the US and UK on Kindle for two weeks as an Amazon promotion and is getting some good reviews (aside from the people who are upset about all the violence and swearing -- wrong book for you. This one is for mature audiences and full of Northern magic and dark spirits).

Last edited:
Oh, it works.
Hm, I might get the paperback at some point - once my fantasy craving starts chewing on me again. I've recently binge-read the whole A Song of Ice and Fire, something which I had been planning to do for 10 years, and I got disappointed, so now I'm giving fantasy and related genres a pause.

Last edited:
Little girl caught a big fish. In her sweater.

hauki_kalastus_H%C3%A4meenlinna_Kingbury_IMG_6927.JPG

Oh, it works.
Hm, I might get the paperback at some point - once my fantasy craving starts chewing on me again. I've recently binge-read the whole A Song of Ice and Fire, something which I had been planning to do for 10 years, and I got disappointed, so now I'm giving fantasy and related genres a pause.

This is probably not the best book to rekindle one's love for fantasy. With all due respect, and as a somewhat keen fantasy fan, I daresay books 4 and 5 are rather tedious.

In other news, Ms. Tuonelan's book has been out in the US and UK on Kindle for two weeks as an Amazon promotion and is getting some good reviews (aside from the people who are upset about all the violence and swearing -- wrong book for you. This one is for mature audiences and full of Northern magic and dark spirits).

I pre-ordered it on Kindle the other day. Should be available on June 1.
BTW, I see the second part should also be available shortly, right?

Thank you for your support! :kickass:

Second part out in July.

Third book is written, but not yet bought. With any luck it will be picked up once the publisher can gauge interest.

This is probably not the best book to rekindle one's love for fantasy. With all due respect, and as a somewhat keen fantasy fan, I daresay books 4 and 5 are rather tedious.

They were very tedious, yes. Martin started losing focus with those books, at least that is how I felt. I really hope book 6 (when/if it gets released) is good, otherwise Martin will just become another Robert Jordan in my eyes.

I am also kinda worried about Martin's release dates. If he keeps going on like this, we might never get book 6, not to mention book 7.

Last edited:
They were very tedious, yes. Martin started losing focus with those books, at least that is how I felt. I really hope book 6 (when/if it gets released) is good, otherwise Martin will just become another Robert Jordan in my eyes.

I am also kinda worried about Martin's release dates. If he keeps going on like this, we might never get book 6, not to mention book 7.

Initially it was intended as a trilogy. I don't know why and when Martin decided to bloat it out of proportion, but, honestly, I have stopped caring about books 6 & 7 for a while now. As far as I'm concerned, I will get some sort of closure via Game of Thrones and I probably will not even bother with the books anymore.

Martin never decided to bloat it out; he started writing a trilogy and realized about 1400 pages in that he'd underestimated its size and that it was going to have to be several volumes longer. (I don't think that the stories had to be this involved or that the scenes had to be as long as they are, but GRRM does not seem like the sort of writer that can work productively with an editor and he's made so much money for Bantam that they aren't about to put much pressure on him to change this.)

To me it's not that much of a problem in size or complexity of the books - it is in the unnecessary complexity and authors evident lack of interest in writing/finishing it.

He has been doing this series for more than two decades and has published "only" 5 books - granted, those are some long books - but, in comparison, there are many other fantasy writers who have managed to write and conclude long(er) series in a lot shorter time period - I know that this comparison doesn't really have any importance, but I wanted to just point out the quite obvious lack of enthusiasm Martin has in all of this.
He has racked up millions by now, so why should a man of his age bother much with work? Not that I fully blame him. He told the show's producers how he plans to end it, so the problem of a series without conclusion isn't weighing on him anymore. Fans will get their ending, one way or another, all is well.

I just can't imagine how those die-hard fans who have been reading those books for the last 20+ years must feel by now - probably quite pissed off over being screwed over, since Martin basically shifted all of his interest from the books to the show (which I, for the record, haven't seen much, so I can't make a proper comment, but from all the things I've learned about it, it definitely isn't my cup of tea).

Mrs. Tuonelan has a guest blog post up at Hardboiled Wonderland. She was asked to submit an article about a song that tells a dark story (as part of her author "blog tour" in support of her dark fantasy novel, Enemy). She wrote about Silent Waters:

It starts with a body in the river. A young man's body, not much more than a boy.

His name is Lemminkainen, and he was trying to court a young woman from Tuoni. Of course there's a young woman at the root of this. That can't surprise anyone...
Enjoy!

[Link to Enemy on the Suomalainen Kirjakauppa website for those of you in Finland]

Last edited: