Local news

Eurynome

Kukkahattutäti
Apr 19, 2011
Helsinki
www.eurynome.fi
A friend of mine reported this morning that he saw a fox at Helsinki's biggest shopping mall. He was too baffled to reach for his phone and take a picture, but someone else did and reported the incident to Ilta-Sanomat:

1288522865135.jpg

Holiday gift shopping for the cubs I presume...

Poor fox, hopefully it finds the way back home.

We got quite much snow here. Over 45cm at the moment and it's still snowing

Poor fox, hopefully it finds the way back home.

I hope so. Hietalahdenranta is actually right next to Nosturi, not the most traditional place for a fox den...

Talking 'bout animals in strange places, looks like Karhu found a way of smuggling himself into the president's Independence Day gala last week...

1554529_270x450.jpg

We got quite much snow here. Over 45cm at the moment and it's still snowing

Wow, that's about twice as much than what we have! Glad there's at least some, though, last year at this time all we had was total f*in' darkness.

im in russia and we dont have snow over here, only on mountains but not much thr either where is the fuckin snow

I went for the food, not the politics :kickass:

I was about to read "for the food, not the politicians"... (well, if our Minister of the Interior got eaten by a bear, I wouldn't even feel all that awfully sorry. Except for the bear > :puke: )

In related news, "Karhu" is now officially approved as a boy's name. As is the rather extravagant "Tuliotso" (Fire Bear) and the not exactly Finnish "Mjölnir". The most striking among the new girls' names is "Evilia". :devil:

I like "Evilia" but sorry Karhu has been taken. Unless the chosen child shows skills of the woods, curiosity of the stars, and a good old fashioned stubborn presence among the other entities in the world, then maybe.

Curious as I am, wtf is a "fire bear"???

:devil::Shedevil::hotjump::devil:

Oh I looked at the link, here's the full list of boy and girl names:

Pojat: (boy)

Joa
Urhea
Aaros
Einri
Temppu
Roihu
Iloittu
Selassie
Mjölnir
Tuliotso
Filo
Roihi
Karhu

Tytöt: (girl)

Semilla
Kalliope
Eveliia
Ruuti
Rosabella
Vivana
Tennessee
Salvia
Evilia

Näitä ei hyväksytty lasten nimiksi: (nickname or middle name? my finnish isn't 100% I didn't think there were many middle names?)

Pojat:

Uncas
Haor
Karhunpoika
Merikarhu
Armaani
Cander
Eversti
Sälli

Tytöt:

Macadamia
Xstina
Talisha
Pajunkissa

Just my silly opinion on said names using the universal translator from up above:

Pojat: (boy)

Aaros: ok, cool archer dude with sun qualities?
Temppu: Sounds like an actual city or cooking seafood.
Roihu: The one dude who died in the Lord of The Rings series.
Iloittu: Win some $$$
Mjölnir: Well don't use this one too often unless your kid is special.
Filo: Fast like a car with good mileage.
Roihi: Finnish sphagetti with fish and some special meat.
Karhu: NOOOOOOOO! (unless special qualities are met)

Tytöt: (girl)

Semilla: sounds like a disease
Kalliope: very colorful, hopeful skywatcher
Eveliia: night time dancer
Ruuti: the gardener
Rosabella: THIS I actually like, don't know why
Vivana: Rock band alllll the way, she jams
Tennessee: No, don't like that state that much unless you are Elvis
Salvia: No, this is an actual perennial plant, but spicy
Evilia: Hey let's hang out and you can bite my neck

Pojat: (boys)

Uncas: can't perform
Haor: LOL but fearsome in cold weather and icy
Karhunpoika: bear boy in need of something
Merikarhu: happy bear
Armaani: warrior of good clothing
Cander: boring
Eversti: quick night
Sälli: fish sailor

Tytöt: (girls)

Macadamia: you are nuts
Xstina: if this is official, I like it but it is based on...u know
Talisha: Ravi Shankar would be proud
Pajunkissa: might be the sexiest chick so far.

Snow is melting around here. Sad. And it was such a nice layer.

I love winter. Even when temperatures are below -25, I still love it. Always have. Seeing snow melt slowly, for days, then being covered in chilling rain, frost, melting again is in a way painful for me. Like seeing an old man dying for days in bed.

Great photos, Tuuletar. I wish for a winter like that.

I luv winter too, yesterday we had rain so most of the snow has melted, lakes still not frozen.

Say Tuuletar, were you an old member on any of the old official Amorphis boards? Luv the pix, I take quite a few too. Ones with "hoarfrost" (frozen crystals on branches, etc) are magical. What kind of bird is that?

Thanks again! :)

Say Tuuletar, were you an old member on any of the old official Amorphis boards? Luv the pix, I take quite a few too. Ones with "hoarfrost" (frozen crystals on branches, etc) are magical. What kind of bird is that?

Yeah, once I used to post on the old official forum, but that was long time ago. I was - and still am - bit hesitant to use my English skills, but I'm trying to learn all the time.

The bird is Bohemian waxwing, tilhi in Finnish. They are beautiful birds, besides they have got pretty cool "punk hairdo":

Waxwing%20on%20Rowan%20Berries%201.jpg

Don't worry about your English, it's a lot better than much that's written on the internet these days.
Wink.gif
And those pics are lovely, especially the tilhi on the berry twig is calendar stuff.
Thumbs_up.gif