Logic X drum flex time region splitting questions

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
I'm editing drum timing for the first time in Logic X and have searched a few posts on the subject. I have phase locked editing on and am Q referencing Kick / Snare / Toms, and am using slice mode. I am moving all the markers by hand based on feel. I'd really appreciate some clarification on some of the techniques since I am new to this:

A) I've read some tips to split into regions and work on them individually. When splitting the track into regions do I do it before or after analysing in Flex time? Does it make a difference to do it either way? Do I really need to split into regions if I'm doing it all by hand and feel anyway?

B) When splitting into regions how are people dealing with 'push' sections when a kick is slightly ahead of the 1st beat of a bar? For the track I'm editing the verse sections have a consistent push feel and the drummer has played slightly ahead of the click - I want to keep the feel but if I split the region by the bar I'm going to have the flex marker for the first kick on the previous section unless I nudge it over. I'm assuming I just split the region to include the kick - is there anything to be aware of here?

C) By my understanding the first and last flex marker in each region uses the region boundary as its outside marker. So as I understand it this means that moving the flex marker in one region at the end will not move associated information in the next region? So surely this could cause problems transitioning to the next region?

Thanks.

Just land the "one count" for each section of the song in flex mode then cut.
If you cut before you land the one counts, the kick may be before the beat and not in the region when you go to edit it.
Don't forget that you can change the grid devision to whatever interval you want, then snap to grid for edits.
If you want it looser select the amount of quantise % in the region parameters on the left of the arrange window.

It is better to split into workable region sizes, due to extra processing and ram requirements when editing the song as 1 large region.

There's a video one of the UK guys posted on here that shows his workflow which is spot on, I'll try and link it if he doesn't chime in himself.

A) Doesn't matter if it's before or after, but I do this so I can turn Flex Time off completely for regions that don't need it. It stops me getting overzealous with editing and messing with stuff that doesn't need any work.

B) Most often I'm not moving the marker to be 100% right on the beat, just closer to it if need be. If the feel is good then don't mess with it too much, it really takes restraint to not go in and edit every single note. I usually split the regions just before the first kick/snare transient etc rather than dead on Bar 1 Beat 1 or whatever..

C) Correct, but I've not run into it being a problem. If you push a marker REALLY far (i'm talking like a high-speed section) at the end of a region then it can push it onto the next region instead.