How do I make changes to a copy of a region in Logic?!

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I copied some guitar parts from another region in a project and opened the sample editor to reverse them and do that infamous swell effect. When I go and playback though, I find out Logic DESTRUCTIVELY did the reversing to the same part of the regions that I cut it from!!! How do I make a copy of a region that I can edit independently from the region I copied it from?! Seriously what the fuck. I had to go back to my old Reaper session that I still had the original consolidated files in to pull the old guitar parts and put them back in!

Shouldn't Logic automatically create a NEW file if I am destructively editing something in the sample editor that still has copies of that region elsewhere in the arrangement? Like Jesus Christ...

in the sample editor local menus, there should be a "make copy" option, you will be prompted to name the new file and so on.

alternativly, in the arrange window, either ctrl-click on the desired region and use Bounce-in-place, or select something like "turn region into new audio file", from the local menus, probably under "edit".

the sample editor is supposed to be destructive, that is what it is intended to do. a region is only ever a reference window to a file on your disk, if you use the sample editor to alter something, you are not altering the "region", you are altering the file.

have you read the manual yet? it states pretty clearly that all sample editor edits are destructive, (if i remember correctly), and frankly, its a bit of a stretch to expect a new DAW to behave precisely like the one you are accustomed to.

:)

have you read the manual yet? it states pretty clearly that all sample editor edits are destructive, (if i remember correctly), and frankly, its a bit of a stretch to expect a new DAW to behave precisely like the one you are accustomed to.

:)

+10000

Besides, right click->convert to new audio file, then edit

Yeah I've read all 1300 pages of the manual and I know the sample editor is destructive. I just assumed it was only going to destructively edit what I was telling it to edit, not the audio regions I wasn't even touching. LOGICally, you would think it would create a copy automatically when you destructively edit something that also exists in another part of the arrangement. Having to manually create copies, name files and save things is an unnecessary process. If you wanted your destructive edits to effect other regions, you should be using aliases, not copies.

Every time I start getting used to Logic and getting almost happy about it, something like this comes up :/

I just assumed it was only going to destructively edit what I was telling it to edit, not the audio regions I wasn't even touching.

see, this is the trick, the sample editor has nothing to do with regions, it does exactly what it says it does, it edits audio files (or, indeed, "samples").
this is a key concept to wrap your head around, that regions=/=files .

im sorry mate, but it seems that you are getting caught up in how Logic differs from Reaper

in this specific case, Reaper has no sample editor at all, but logic does, and you've (understandably) hit a stumbling block there.

i would argue that for most people, at least 90% of what is done in the sample editor is intended to be destructive (removing dc offset, normalising, penciling out clicks and so forth), so the default behaviour for the sample editor is destructive, because that is what it is designed to do. seems pretty logical to me that it would default to the 90% scenario :)

im not trying to be a hard-ass, im just saying i would encourage you to take it easy, chill, and take the time to learn how things work in this DAW before getting worked up about it.
:kickass:

see, this is the trick, the sample editor has nothing to do with regions, it does exactly what it says it does, it edits audio files (or, indeed, "samples").
this is a key concept to wrap your head around, that regions=/=files .

im sorry mate, but it seems that you are getting caught up in how Logic differs from Reaper

No, he's getting caught up in how Logic differs from every other DAW out there.

When I copy a file in Cubase and then apply processing to it, I'm asked if I want it to be to both the original and the copy, or just the copy.

I feel like I am going to be single-handedly responsible for no one else on this board ever buying Logic :lol:

How did I end up as the guinea pig here? Am I that unreasonable and impatient or am I just the only person with moderate performance expectations that has ever tried to do a project from tracking from scratch with Logic?

M-Powered couldn't show up at my door fast enough at this point.

Naw, everything you've listed is complaints I also had with Logic, but figured I could get used to/develop workarounds.

I started on Cubase, moved to Logic 7 for a year and a half and did an album and a couple eps with it, but ended up moving back to Cubase because the PCs I could build for cheap blew my MacBook at the time out of the water.

I've now realized that I'm just so used to Cubase that using anything else at this point is counterproductive until I switch up to PTHD. In all honesty I'm gonna end up selling my copy of Logic 9, soon as I find a replacement for WaveBurner that I like haha.