Manual Drum Quantisation Methods in Logic

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hey!

Im a Protools user and have been using it professionally for 7 years now.

My preferred choice of drum quantisation method basically consists of the following steps.

1. Manual slicing across all grouped drum multi tracks using Protools Tab to Transient feature - Cycling through each drum transient by tapping 'Tab' and slicing at the start of the transient
2. Mixture of manually sliding each sliced audio region to the grid and auto 'Quantize region to grid' feature (command+0)
3. Using edit smoothing from the beat detective tool to automatically fill and crossfade.

After trying many other methods, this has proven to work best for me and my workflow.

Im toying with the Idea of trying out Logic as Im fed up with some of the counter-productive features of tools during mixing, processing and exporting audio. Keeping in mind that I want to avoid elastic audio or other time stretching tools, what are the kinds of options of drum quantising methods that Logic users are implementing into their workflow? Is there a similar way I am able to adapt my protools method into logic with edit groups, transient detection and automatic quantising to grid?

Love to hear about logic users work flow!

Cheers

tbh, if you want to stick with that work flow you're best tracking/editing your drums in PT.

you can use the marquee tool and tab to transient/slice, but if i remember right you need to shuffle "group locking" on and off so that it tabs to the transients in your selection and cuts in the group.

Using slicing mode in flex editing works pretty well, and if you want to you can use that to slice at the transients. its possible to quantise regions to the grid, but tbh you're better off using slicing mode in logic.

The main gripe I have is sometimes you'll want to see what's going on "behind the hood" on more complex parts but on the whole it works fine.