LOL, Henrik from Evergrey sets shit straight.

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
From some interview, somewhere:

"I don't compare us as a power metal or a progressive metal band. I want to make a point about that — I think we're really different from all those bands. I'm not badmouthing any other bands, 'cause I believe what they play is what they want to do. But I don't want to get caught up in that prog metal shit, because we're not a prog metal band. I could call us a progressive metal band as far as I would say that OPETH or MESHUGGAH is a progressive metal band. But many bands equal standing up and jerking scales. In my book that has nothing to do with music. They're just fucking geeks. But I'm not dissing any bands 'cause they can do whatever they want."

Hahahahahahahahahaha, teh funnay!

He calls em geeks but he then follows to say "but I'm not dissing any bands..." Whatever Henrik. Question: How the fuck does Musical Theory not have anything to do with music? That's a total contradiction in my book. I do prefer the emotion which is exhuded from great music over any kind of technicality but the music must be well executed, from a musician's standpoint, at least. So, if by what he is saying, he means that emotion is precendent to technicality, I do agree. However, Evergrey DO throw in some odd time signatures and a few start/stops here and there so I do not get it totally. He must have been drunk.

On a side note, I think that EVergrey's music is good but slightly boring most of the time.

By the way, who here has heard the new Evergrey album? Yet again, there is nothing instant that grabs me and I tend to 'switch off' at around track 5. But I'll probably like it in a year from now (it took me 12 months and a live performance to like Recreation Day).

I dunno, maybe I'm just getting tired of the same ol' same ol' from them, although I do like the increased use of female backing vocals.

Thing is, if I put on SDT or ISotT, I'm blown away, each and every time. That dark prog factor still oozes out of those records, without any need for plinky plonky keyboards.

I should have my review of the new one up this week...I think it might be their best album yet, definitely their most ambitious and I feel that dark prog factor as you put it all over the place, but don't ask me for an unbiased opinion concerning Evergrey.

I'm suprised Henrik's comments have caused such controversy.

And as for "The Inner Circle" being the "same old thing from Evergrey"... I find that to be a rather curious statement... as the new album... for better or worse... is quite a departure from their previous efforts... previous Evergrey albums were loaded with guitar riffs while the riff has been de-emphasized in favor of more textural guitar on the new album... which is a huge change immediately apparent to any seasoned Evergrey listener.