Evergrey = Prog???????

The Apparition

Porpoise McSalamander
Dec 22, 2004
Sydney
I recently got into Evergrey and own Inner Circle and Recreation Day.Ive noticed they are mostly labelled as a "progressive metal" band, which is a term i dont think applies to them at all. I do listen to other prog such as Symphony X,Dream Theater,Fates Warning,Ayreon etc and to me, the main elements of prog are the structures- songs are generally long with many tempo and time changes,the music taking unexpected twists and avoiding the verse/chorus/verse/chorus mentality and basically taking you on a journey with many twists and turns along the way all the while maintaining a high degree of musicianship. Most evergrey songs are standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus structure,the only prog element that i hear is the very occasional off time riff. Of course bands should keep pushing boundaries and not worry about the confines of a genre but the basic elements of what a "progressive" band is i dont see in Evergrey. That said i do really like Evergrey,i think the Inner Circle is fantastic.

Yeah I would consider them progressive dark metal if you had to have a catagory. I think Evergrey eclipses most in the genres so if you have to put them one being that they mix alot of styles within their makeup, prog metal would be it.

Bear

The Apparition said:
I recently got into Evergrey and own Inner Circle and Recreation Day.Ive noticed they are mostly labelled as a "progressive metal" band, which is a term i dont think applies to them at all. I do listen to other prog such as Symphony X,Dream Theater,Fates Warning,Ayreon etc and to me, the main elements of prog are the structures- songs are generally long with many tempo and time changes,the music taking unexpected twists and avoiding the verse/chorus/verse/chorus mentality and basically taking you on a journey with many twists and turns along the way all the while maintaining a high degree of musicianship. Most evergrey songs are standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus structure,the only prog element that i hear is the very occasional off time riff. Of course bands should keep pushing boundaries and not worry about the confines of a genre but the basic elements of what a "progressive" band is i dont see in Evergrey. That said i do really like Evergrey,i think the Inner Circle is fantastic.

I agree with Raine Lionheart...They don't really fall under any other categories... I personally consider them progressive power metal, because they possess aspects of both genres. They are somewhat technical, not like Sym X or DT, and they don't go through a million and a half time signatures in a 24 minute song, but they do have time changes. Progressive metal isn't necessarily based upon the factors of time and tempo changes, their music is very different compared to most other bands, which is what "Progressive" means. They are moving toward a better style of music. I think the biggest part of progressive metal is the use of a certain level of technicality, which more often than not involves a keyboardist. I haven't seen a prog metal band without a keyboardist, so I think that has quite a bit to do with it. One band that has frequent time changes in their songs is Lamb of God; for the most part, they play in 12/8, and rotate back and forth between that and 4/4, 6/8, 7/8, etc...But they do not qualify as prog. So theres the other side of it. I really think most of the feeling of "progressive metal" is in the sound, and just because Evergrey doesn't have time changes all the time, and 20 minute songs, doesn't mean they don't qualify for that genre.

Tom says they are just a metal band, they have nothing to do with all the progressive metal bands. He only wants evergrey to be called progressive metal if Opeth and Meshuggah are progressive metal aswell.

sknight said:
Power metal. A bit of thrash. Structures and keyboards brings them into the prog realm. Female voices and dark sounds into the goth realm.

My verdict: Power metal.

Why power?
Power-chords are in every metal genre's afaik, repeating notes are in death,trash and progressive metal aswell. I hear no soloish guitar walk on it that you often hear in power-metal songs (blind guardian for e.x.)

I agree with you about trash. They have many rythm trash-like things. If you listen to a riff, you can often hear the same notes put in a cool rythm.

I don't know about goth. Í'm not into that genre.

Power is pretty self explanatory.

Evergrey appears to be heavily promoted in goth circles. In fact, that's how I found out about them. I listen to gotham radio and they play EG stuff all the time.

There's a bit of a debate. Are the power/thrash goth metal? Or are the progressive dark metal? The goth fans see them as something of a goth group, while the prog fans don't really see them as one of their own.

Evergrey transcends many categories, which makes them a standout amongst their bland peers.

They are metal.

It's like putting. let's say Vaughan in the category power-blues, heavy-blues, progressive-blues, black-blues or perhaps gothic-blues?
Really.. what's the use... they are metal, and they rock. (they metal?) :)

Of course it matters!! Who cares what a band sounds like?? It's their catagory that REALLY matters!

I don't care what drawer they get stuffed into as long as *they* don't try to make themselves fit that drawer.