How popular is Evergrey?

MetalBanger

The Encounter
Apr 1, 2004
Belgium
I think since the release of Recreation Day, Evergrey became more popular.
Even more with the release of The Inner Circle

So every metalhead must know Evergrey, right?

Pretty popular in the scheme of underground bands.

I mean, they're more popular than my buddy's garage band.

Check out the pics page on the EG site and that may answer your question. They've played large open air festivals and they have worldwide distribution, so they're decently popular for an underground band. They are also popular in their hometown, where their videos are played on TV and the songs on the radio.

"Popular" is kinda dependent on a lot of factors.

While they have a good-sized core group of fans, they probably could not, for example, headline a US club tour and draw a big crowd every night on their own notoriety, the way that a band like Symphony X can. (big festivals like PP are an exception) In Europe, however, they can.

It's all circumstantial. *shrug* But they sell better with every CD that's released, which is always a good sign.

well I think their popularity will rise if their songs will be played more often on radios or MTV, but for some reason rock radio stations in Germany are rare and if there is on it plays all the old stuff over and over again, let's face it there are not as many people who like to listen to good music as people who prefer the easy digestable pop stuff.

Oh geez, what is going on are they all blind and deaf!!!!!! :yell:

It's also a matter of paying dues for a while. Therion is pretty big now, in the scheme of underground bands. Chris has said that he makes a decent living through the band. Once you build yourself up, and get recognized for uniformly high-quality music, like Evergrey has, they will increase in popularity.

You also can't discount word of mouth. It's a powerful tool. I promote Evergrey on the Dream Theater board all the time, as well as in person.

where i live i could ask ssomeone who has even heard of evergrey and they would say no.

i think they can become really popular if the radio and mtv played them more often. i only heard them on the radio twice. they always have a special day for all heavy metal bands and the only person that i know who probalby knows and likes evergrey is the dj who puts on the music in my state. i see that evergrey is starting to grow into more popular band becuase of the concerts they got invited to be on like the scorpions. down here the scorpions are very popular.

but most of the fans of the popular music only like one song so they just download the song and copy it on a cd. evergrey on the other hand has fans that are serious about what kind of music they listen to and buy all there cds and merch to cheer there band.
i hear most of the people that like evergrey also love all their songs instead of one.

bands like evergrey has songs that are loved more than another artist with just won hit song

Good point. The thematic approach to albums gives a buyer more incentive to purchase a whole album and the serious listeners will want to get to the bottom of the story.

MTV and radio play doesn't mean the band is popular. Dream Theater is a great example of this. They get nothing, yet are big. I'm from the same town as them and when they play NYC, or any other place in the US, it's a 5,000 seat theatre (or 15,000 seat arena) with no advertising. That's the power of word of mouth and building yourself up over time.

sknight said:
Good point. The thematic approach to albums gives a buyer more incentive to purchase a whole album and the serious listeners will want to get to the bottom of the story.

MTV and radio play doesn't mean the band is popular. Dream Theater is a great example of this. They get nothing, yet are big. I'm from the same town as them and when they play NYC, or any other place in the US, it's a 5,000 seat theatre (or 15,000 seat arena) with no advertising. That's the power of word of mouth and building yourself up over time.

Well, I agree to a certain point, word of mouth is a big propaganda machine but don't underestimate the impact of a good marketing strategy.. there are always exceptions to the rule.We are living in a time where the media is feeding us information (you know those radiostations that play a nervwrecking song to death to force it to become sucessful :yuk: ) everyday and don't forget Dream Theatre did a cover and more mainstream orientated album to get the foot in the door - Remember "Pull me under". After they had released "Words and Images" they'd changed their musical direction more and more into Prog.
Touring is big time important too, it is hard on the guys but increasing their popularity, but the real though challenge is to hit the nerve of the time with your music.
And I think EG does, so I am convinced they will be doing extremly well....not the first time I have foreseen success for something or someone :p and within a 1/2 year it happend several times.... :cool:

Mark my words

I would say their "popularity" is also based on where you are in the spectrum. In Europe and Japan (i noticed) metal and progressive music has a bigger scene there. I envy all the people in this forum who live abroad. In The States, bubblegum/pop cookie-cutter rock and rap/metal are all the thing it makes me sick! That ads just one more reason Im upset at my country! I cant listen to the radio at all.
Especially living in Alaska, (i think theres about five EG fans and I have introduces three of them) I need to special order their albums Borders or even Best Buy will get them in every now and again But EG is much more popular and obtainable than say, Vanden Plas or Therion. I have never heard of them. Also if anyone knows any bands that are along the same lines as EG please let me know. I need some more music like them!!!!!

I do what I can to spread the Evergrey love among people I know. My friends have gotten in to them, so thats about twelve. I've tried to get them played on the radio a couple of times, failed every time but I tried. I think they are pretty big though, I remember when Headbangers Ball a while back was running the video for "I'm Sorry" and Jasta said that it was one of the most requested videos, and I think they went four or five shows in a row with that video, which is huge considering the amount of absolute shit they play on that show.

I'm hoping they make an ozzfest though, cause thats the only time the band is even coming remotely close to where I live.

Stay Metal :headbang:

Danny7468 said:
easy digestable pop stuff.

Speak for yerself, it always gave me only stomachaches... ;)

Joking aside, Evergrey is IMO fairly popular among the people into progressive and heavy/power metal, but their "disadvantage" is that they don't really sound like everyone elses band...
Let's face the fact, it's much easier to make it having a band like Hammerfall or Primal Fear, who base their music on more/less clichéd riffs "copyrighted" by the likes of Accept, Helloween or Judas Priest a long time ago, than trying to create something all on your own. Yes, certain parts of Evergrey songs do remind me ocasionally on usual prog metal stuff and so forth, but they are PARTS, not the whole songs! They have a certain atmosphere and songwriting style that's their own. Listening to e.g. Primal Fear sometimes gives me that "heard it before" feeling, because they seem to want to be a Judas Priest clone too hard... Don't get me wrong, PF are a great band, but I'll always respect the likes of Evergrey more...

I wish Evergrey all the best in their career, they really deserve to make it!
That would mean the general public came to its senses... ;)

Unfortunately, here in the States, Evergrey is not very popular. The fact that Americans are somehow attracted to quick, catchy, little tunes, sung by bands with no talent, doesn't help. During the 1980's, the U.S. was Metal country, but since the early 1990's, good Metal has been hard to find.

Americans like myself, are forced to surf the internet and find out about Metal bands on forums like this one. I saw Evergrey last year in New York City with Iced Earth. Even then, very few people in the crowd knew who they were or what they were about. Their set was very short, but I was blown away! I can't wait for the day that they return to New York. Hopefully by then, MTV and radio stations will realize what they are missing and give Evergrey their proper respect.

It is almost impossible to find Evergrey CDs in any American music store. I have to go to Amazon.com to buy all of my CDs. I believe if the Evergrey boys stay true to their vision and continue to make inspiring music, they will be WORLD FAMOUS!!!!!

Unfortunately, there are no other bands that sound quite like Evergrey. They have a unique sound. You might want to try a band by the name of Pagan's Mind from Norway. Their last CD, "Celestial Entrance," is amazing. I believe their in the studio now finishing up the recording of their third CD, "Enigmatic Calling," which should be out in April.

I agree, living in New York myself, its very hard to be a Metal or Progressive fan here in the States. No radio airplay, no place to see bands, no MTV support. If you have trouble finding Pagan's Mind, go to Amazon.com and search for Progressive Rock. They have everything!

MetalSoul said:
Unfortunately, here in the States, Evergrey is not very popular. The fact that Americans are somehow attracted to quick, catchy, little tunes, sung by bands with no talent, doesn't help. During the 1980's, the U.S. was Metal country, but since the early 1990's, good Metal has been hard to find.

Americans like myself, are forced to surf the internet and find out about Metal bands on forums like this one. I saw Evergrey last year in New York City with Iced Earth. Even then, very few people in the crowd knew who they were or what they were about. Their set was very short, but I was blown away! I can't wait for the day that they return to New York. Hopefully by then, MTV and radio stations will realize what they are missing and give Evergrey their proper respect.

It is almost impossible to find Evergrey CDs in any American music store. I have to go to Amazon.com to buy all of my CDs. I believe if the Evergrey boys stay true to their vision and continue to make inspiring music, they will be WORLD FAMOUS!!!!!

...almost the same over here... for so called underground bands, you need to go to special music shops (and be lucky to find one) , but like the average dude store doesn't carry their CD's I was almost in shock when I got the last Inner Circle CD at that store... I believe they only carried one :erk: ... so I do my CD shopping at Amazon too, because you basically find everything either new or used.... at least there is a way to get them.
And yeah I believe that they will be very famous too, if they stay true to their own style... :headbang:

i think that evergrey are very popular because thier albumes reached the Virgin megastore in lebanon wich is unUsual because in lebanon this kind of music is not found alot

MetalSoul said:

I would disagree with that. Good metal is definately not the mainstream in the US, but there is a strong "underground" scene that seems to be growing over the past few years. Don't expec to see Evergrey or other metal bands on MTV or the radio though. Good luck!

I can find Evergrey cds at my local Best Buy and Tower Records and used cd store. (Haven't seen 'em in a Walmart yet, though :) ) .