London gig with Akercocke

RiffBoy said:
Nice to see your pix, but none of Mendez?

:err:
I spent most of the gig on the opposite side of the stage that Mendez inhabits (Peter's domain). When he did wander along to the other end the crowd went crazy which made it difficult for me to get a stable shot. These are the best I could do:
PB300202a.jpg
PB300203a.jpg

opeth_353 said:
Haha - that is like.. the only section in an Opeth song that i actually despise!

I've got to side with BRI on this because he is an excellent frontman and singer. He fits in with their style perfectly and his guttural roars and cacodaemonic shrieks fucking give me the horn!

Once again, i know it's all opinion, but the music is in no way bland or boring. Multi-layered and textured, a lot of tempo and rhythm switches, varied vocal styles and contrasting guitar work - that's me just picking out the obvious things.
David Gray is an amazing drummer and his style is near unchallenged. His fills filled my pants with semen, he is amazing at playing dynamically he has the best blasts, an excellent sound and amazing stamina. Artisticly he is not as good as Lopez, but for Extreme metal he is in a league of his own.
An Akercocke fan does exist on this forum! I think Words that go Unspoken, Deeds that go Undone was a better release this year than GR, but I guess it takes someone who's into weird stuff like me will agree.

BRI said:
An Akercocke fan does exist on this forum! I think Words that go Unspoken, Deeds that go Undone was a better release this year than GR, but I guess it takes someone who's into weird stuff like me will agree.
Haha, yeh it seems that we're few and far between! I don't see why people on this forum dislike Akercocke so much. I love their lyrics - satanic as fuck yet poetic and not affraid to be wordy. Their production might not be as pristine as Opeth's but they're meant to be brutal! The drumming (as i'm a drummer) just turns me on .. And Jason has the best guitar in the whole entire world!
Even though i've listened to Ghost Reveries more i'd agree that Words was the better album. GR is too tame and just not as inspired as MAYH,Still Life and BWP.

..This is not Hell. This is a place like any other, Brother.. :headbang:

Hey I love the Cocke. Words is a great album...although Jason did make me laugh live I dont know why, it wasnt his vocals it was the way he acted...

Akercocke's drummmer is excellent... sorta
In the sense that his fills, beats and whatnot are pretty fucking amazing, but he also hits the drums like a 10yearold girl and lets the mics do the work, which means that everything (to me anyway) sounded extremely halfhearted and with no power
But, Opeth were incredible, and to the guy asking about Mendez looking like he was sitting down, he was just crouching a lot during the gig

"GRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrr...satan!"

FUBAR said:
Hey I love the Cocke. Words is a great album...although Jason did make me laugh live I dont know why, it wasnt his vocals it was the way he acted...
Well in that sense I can just say Mike made me laugh.
Opeth's vocalist was hilarious!!

Mendonca always seemed to have a certain smirk on his face .. I'm pretty sure Akercocke supported Cradle Of Filth on tour once .. i'd have loved to have gone on that tour! Although Dani is immensely sloppy now.. :(

TattooAnt said:
I spent most of the gig on the opposite side of the stage that Mendez inhabits (Peter's domain). When he did wander along to the other end the crowd went crazy which made it difficult for me to get a stable shot. ---

Thanks. They're cool, though!

Now I understand why he looks so short from a distance... he almost kneels when he plays! :)

BRI said:
Well in that sense I can just say Mike made me laugh.
Opeth's vocalist was hilarious!!

he's always like that. been to a couple of gigs on this tour, and although they've got same setlist (but a couple songs do vary), Mike always makes the hell loats of jokes. In Leeds they refused to play encore, which was Deliverance, until the audience named all members of Europe (and someone actually knew it! i was impressed!) and last night in Oxford they had a little Judas Priest quiz.
that's entertainment (c) =)

Ayr said:
he's always like that. been to a couple of gigs on this tour, and although they've got same setlist (but a couple songs do vary), Mike always makes the hell loats of jokes. In Leeds they refused to play encore, which was Deliverance, until the audience named all members of Europe (and someone actually knew it! i was impressed!) and last night in Oxford they had a little Judas Priest quiz.
that's entertainment (c) =)
Yes I know, I was making a joke.
Anyone seen the vids of the show on google video? They are possibly the worst quality recordings ever lol

Lamentations isn't a bootleg :loco: .
Well actually, it isn't very good either.