Long songs.

StandardToaster

New Metal Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm looking for metal with long songs, like 10+ minutes, preferably with long instrumental parts. Repetition is fine, but i don't want anything boring.
I hope anyone can understand what i'm talking about here :p

Dream Theater . . . most of their songs aren't 10+ minutes, but there is no shortage of crazy solos.

Between the Buried and Me's Colors has a lot of long songs, not a ton of solos, but crazy technicality.

For just long and drawn out:
Esoteric
Deathspell Omega - Fas and songs from splits
Wolves in the Throne Room

For songs that are faster but just have a shitload of parts and are thus still long:
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Dream Theater
Opeth

Agalloch. Also, if you get any Dream Theater, PLEASE make it one of the first three or four albums and not any of the boring wankfests since then.

re: the above post, 'A Change of Seasons' definitely. I think it's easily one of their best songs and it's one of the longest they have. I didn't rec it before though because I feel like it doesn't have quite as much musical space in it as the others I mentioned..seems as if there are more vocal lines somehow. But definitely a good song to go for.

also maudlin of the Well - Birth Pains of Astral Projection

I also think, even though you're specific about metal here, you should also keep in mind some classic prog rock and fusion out there. When I need to take that kind of journey (which is often), I usually go there. It's a shame there aren't more long pieces within metal, but you can still find very musically, instrumentally challenging and atmospheric stuff within progressive and experimental rock-related music.

18:00 Wyrd - Rajalla
17:00 Månegarm - Hemfärd
15:00 Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
14:00 Finsterforst - Sturmes Ernte
13:00 Wyrd - Ashes of Man and Oak and Pine
12:00 Wyrd - Rota
12:00 Finsterforst - Das Grosse Erwachen
11:00 Saturnus - I Long
11:00 Slechtvalk - My Last Call
11:00 Mgla - I (from the album Groza)
11:00 Mael Mordha - Atlas of Sorrow
10:00 Virgin Black - ...and I Am Suffering
10:00 Bathory - One Rode to Asa Bay
10:00 Agalloch - Limbs
9:00 Wyrd - Talviyö
9:00 Saturnus - Descending
9:00 Agalloch - Not Unlike the Waves
8:00 Vinterland - Wings of Sorrow
8:00 Pagan Reign - V Obyatiyah Ximy
8:00 Thyrfing - Från Stormens Öga
8:00 Falkenbach - When Gjallarhorn Will Sound
8:00 Falkenbach - Gjallar [instrumental]

and the whole albums:
The Womb of Primordial Nature by October Falls
Om by Negurã Bunget

Agalloch. Also, if you get any Dream Theater, PLEASE make it one of the first three or four albums and not any of the boring wankfests since then.

Just get Scenes from a Memory, its their magnum opus.

But, I still like a lot of their newer stuff. Train of Thought is probably their heaviest album, and it has some good songs. I really like Octavarium, also. One lame song, and the song Octavarium is possibly my favorite song by them. Systematic Chaos was alright. I could never get into Six Degrees.