look. this is just really, really spooky/creepy

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
i kind of hope they don't find a mundane explanation. i'm picturing a suited, respectable-looking ENERGY VAMPIRE or something.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/02/06/mystery.deaths.ap/index.html
SHELBY, North Carolina (AP) -- Police Chief Charlie VanHoy isn't quite sure what he has on his hands, but he's worried.

From August to November last year, three elderly women were found dead in their beds, dressed in their nightclothes, with no sign of forced entry into their homes. Phone lines were severed, yet medical examiners found no foul play.

Further confusing matters, jewelry, pocket books -- even loaded guns -- were not taken.

"This is just baffling and very frustrating," VanHoy said Thursday.

Lottie Mae Ledford, 85, was found dead in August. The body of Margaret Tessneer, 79, was discovered about a month later. And Lillian Mullinix, 87, was found dead in November.

Their community, Shelby, is a working-class town of 21,000 people that once was home to a thriving textile industry. The town, located about 50 miles west of Charlotte, averages between five and seven homicides each year, so VanHoy is alarmed by the possibility there could be a killer on the loose in what he describes as "older, established neighborhoods."

The first death was discovered August 23, when Ledford's niece tried to check on her aunt after she was unable to reach her on the phone for several days. According to a police report, she found the front door unlocked and no sign of forced entry, then went next door to a neighbor's house and called police.

Before officers arrived, the neighbor entered the small, one-story home and found Ledford lying on the bed, wearing a nightgown. VanHoy said the neighbor had seen Ledford on her back porch earlier that day.

"She had two loaded guns in her bedroom," the police chief said. "We learned it was normal for her to have them. In all the cases, pocketbooks were located with cash in them. We also found jewelry on their bodies that was undisturbed."

Bobby Fisher, Ledford's nephew, does not believe his aunt would have left her front door unlocked.

"Any time I went to see her, she had to unlock the door to let me in," he said. "And she had two guns and she wasn't afraid to use them."

His wife, Barbara Fisher, described Ledford as a "very independent woman" who never married and lived in the same house for 57 years until her death. She said she thinks Ledford was surprised by an attacker who had been staking out her house.

Investigators found the severed phone line after they searched the exterior of Ledford's one-story home. VanHoy said "red flags went up" when the discovery was made, and the concerns resurfaced when another severed line was found about a month later.

On the morning of Sept. 20, Tessneer's daughter and son-in-law went to her house. When there was no answer, they tried the front door, which was unlocked. Tessneer was found dead in her bed, with jewelry on top of the bedroom dresser and no signs of robbery.

An autopsy listed the cause of death "undetermined," VanHoy said. A second autopsy, performed by the state medical examiner's office, ruled out foul play, he said.

Just a few miles away, Lillian Mullinix, 87, lived in two-story brick house with a front porch shaded by large holly trees.

A neighbor called police when he noticed newspapers piling up in front of her house on Nov. 10. Like the others, Mullinix was found dead on her bed, dressed in a nightgown. There were no signs of forced entry and the phone line was cut.

Mullinix's body was sent to Chapel Hill for an autopsy. Again, VanHoy said, a forensic pathologist told him there was there was no foul play.

"To me, she was a lovely lady," said neighbor Teresa Vercher, as she watched her young daughter and her nephew play in her front yard this week. "She always stayed by herself and she would sit on her front porch every evening with her cats."

Police continue to check for connections between the three women, who were not known to be acquainted, although all worked in the textile industry.

Investigators have had no luck so far, after reviewing phone records and trying to determine if the women hired the same person for chores, such as yard work or home repairs. But VanHoy hopes that pending toxicology reports on Tessneer and Mullinix will offer some clues.

"You hope if you get that old, one day you can just lay down and die," Barbara Fisher said. "It's not fair to die in such a terrible way."

"You hope if you get that old, one day you can just lay down and die," Barbara Fisher said. "It's not fair to die in such a terrible way."

what are the implications here?

they die of fright? soul:stolen?

the cut phones lines are the crux here. they prove it was a malicious, CORPOREAL intruder (or else i'd think it was a ghost or coincidental heart attacks or something).

scenario:

break-in by intruder dressed as werewolf or devil. cuts phone line. sits and makes small gurgly noises until elderly person in bed wakes up?

well see the thing is, they don't mention the kind of corporeal trauma you get from heart attacks, strokes, whatever causes people to die of fright. i think this is SOMETHING ELSE. SOMETHING STRANGER.

Energy Vampires are actually a real thing - it's a New Age idea about certain people who, when you spend time with them, just make you feel bad. The EV's are, of course, unaware of what they are. We probably all know people like this.

Not relative to this case, i would think, but you used the term so i wanted to mention it.

Oh I should add that an important trait is that the EV's also feel better when they hang around these people who they cause to feel bad, hence the vampirism aspect.

maybe it's a suicide cult messing with everyone's minds.

a heart attack would show up in an autopsy. as a stroke would. or death by fright because of adrenalin levels.

xfer said:
yeah, i meant it less new agey and more Lovecrafty. an evil sorceror in a bowler and bowtie.

akuma010113f.jpg

they were done (in) by akuma-kun!