you probably knew i was gonna post this as soon as you heard the news

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/12/fataldog.mauling.ap/index.html

story.vert.mauling.1.ap.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- The mother of a 12-year-old boy killed in his own home by one of the family's two pit bulls says she had been so concerned about one of the dogs that she shut her son in the basement to protect him.

Maureen Faibish said she ordered Nicholas to stay in the basement while she did errands on June 3, the day he was attacked by one or both of the dogs.

She said she was worried about the male dog, Rex, who was acting possessive because the female, Ella, was in heat.

"I put him down there, with a shovel on the door," Faibish said in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle. "And I told him: 'Stay down there until I come back.' Typical Nicky, he wouldn't listen to me."

Nicholas apparently found a way to open the basement door.

Despite her concerns about Rex that day, Faibish told the newspaper: "My kids got along great with (the dogs). We were never seeing any kind of violent tendencies."

Faibish found her son's body in a bedroom. He was covered in blood from several wounds, including a major head injury.

No charges have been filed.

"It's Nicky's time to go," she said in the interview. "When you're born you're destined to go and this was his time."

Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack.

Rex was taken to a shelter, but Faibish said she wanted him put down.

Holy shit. I don't even want to imagine how it must have felt to get bit in the head. I just got bit by my dog for what I think is the seventh time and I have a nice gash on my right leg and several smaller ones in both legs. The right side of my body is like a chew toy to this dog.

I have been in a house were two rottweilers actually broke two doors down because they were locked in those rooms.... so I don't know what good putting the dogs in the basement would do...

like, maybe i am way too fucking rational, but if you have a dog willing to fight it's way out of a basement or that you are already a little afraid of... wtf do you have it around kids for? i can't make sense of it. it's like inviting jeffrey dahmer over and then just locking the freezing hoping a head wont end up in there.
\

i dunno, i have sympathy with the people who say that pit bulls are unjustly vilified over other dogs. i guess i'm not fully knowledgeable about dog personality stuff, but there seems to be this culture of blaming the breed. the only stories in the media i remember of really deadly attacks have been pit bulls and rottweilers, but is that just 'cause the media reports those and feeds into the popular perception?

it's true that pits were bred for fighting and it shows. I've met plenty of nice ones, but I'm usually very very cautious when I meet new ones at the park because there are TONS of awful ones around here. I'm not exactly 100% in favor of banning the breed, but I'm not against it either.

Being said, this story really doesn't have much to do with what kind of dog was involved. It's more about the crazy fucking mother leaving her child to die.

I've met some nice pit bulls, but the real problem with even those is that they are extremely unpredictable. One minute lovey dovey, the next snarling at you. I've never met a mean or violent rottweiler, in fact I think they have great personalities, pretty mellow and friendly. They can be incredibly strong though, that can be intimidating.

"Ella was shot to death by a police officer the day of the attack."

When I first read that, I thought Ella was the mom!

Pittbulls tend to be misunderstood both ways. People either see them as born killers or maltreated sweeties. From what I've seen, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Pitts can be great pets but there's a lifelong need for disciplinary/routine consistency that few people are really prepared to provide. Plus, even my in-laws harmless love of a cat gets downright nasty during mating season.

still i'm not sure how much this "bred to fight" stuff is legitimate! for hundreds of years slaves in the US were "bred" to "work physically" and i don't think that means black folks today are predisposed to not think or something.

I'm backing off my initial tendency to want to ban pit bulls; I'm moving on to teenagers. I just read this story:

Police: Miss. Teen Kills Father Over Snack
By Associated Press

June 13, 2005, 2:14 AM EDT

McCOMB, Miss. -- Authorities say a disagreement over a frozen snack led a McComb teenager to fatally shoot his father and threaten his mother. Curtis McCray Jr., 16, was arrested and charged with murder last week after allegedly shooting Curtis McCray Sr. with a shotgun from about 20 feet away, the Pike County Sheriff's Department said.

Investigator David Haywood said the shooting occurred after the teen was punished for being involved in a minor wreck, and the boy became enraged when his parents returned home eating Sno-Balls and there wasn't one for him.