News Story of the Year

i done seen that, avi.

lizard:
with one gesture, he could have eliminated most of the taint which covers his legacy.

no way. it would have been a drop out of the bucket of his crimes.

and i don't think it matters much how she herself feels--her mind has obviously been inculcated with this slave mentality from her birth. i generally hate to label people as victims and thus disempower them, but she's a victim if there ever was one. just because strom laid out enough cash to satisfy her doesn't make his crap okay.

alex, what I mean is that he could have, by demonstrating his fatherhood, illustrated how far he had come as a man. he didn't do that, and therefore remains, in my eyes anyway, a complete and total gutless tool.

I don't expect people to be perfect, but I do appreciate them trying to progress and develop as humans. it is an indictment of the largest magnitude that thurmond's legacy is legitimized and condoned by his protegees like Trent Lott.

hey mindspell, you may also want to read Al Franken's latest book. And Molly Ivins's Bushwacked! Life in George Bush's America is also good. She goes out and finds average everyday people who have been screwed over by Bush's policies (and no, they aren't all welfare types). The chapter on the women who work in Mississippi's catfish factories is just brutal.