News Story of the Year

GRIND.KILLED.EMO.

the giant poo monster
Aug 7, 2002
boston
www.strangledwithahalo.cjb.net
The daughter of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond, a former segregationist, said today that she kept her mixed-race ancestry secret for decades out of respect for her father. "I never wanted to do anything to harm him or cause detriment to his life or to the lives of those around him," 78-year-old Essie Mae Washington-Williams said.

I laughed sooooooooooooo hard, apparently 'ole stromy fucked a teenage Black housekeeper back in the 20s and lept it a secret

The liberal United States media is jumping all over this! Oh wait, actually, they're hardly mentioning it, so much for that theory of a liberal bias in the media.

first of all, this was the TOP STORY on CNN.com (and other news places) yesterday. and it's such a tiny thing. you can make some okay arguments that there isn't liberal bias in the media, but this is kind of a counter-example, not an example.

secondly, fuck her. this story pisses me off because it didn't break until after that Strom fuck was dead. how great would it've been to be able to see the look on his jowly old face if this had come out ten or fifteen years ago and the press was hammering him for it? entirely lame, and since this was an open secret, entirely representative of the shitty culture of respect for genteel old South types. even slave-rapists.

the family refused to admit it until he was dead, or recognize her existence. it's like they were waiting for him to kick it so he didn't have to get skewered while he was alive.

yeah, it's retarded. i also hate how slaveified that poor woman is, where she's grateful that her father would even secretly acknowledge her. even though she got no cut of his estate and he was too embarassed to acknowledge her when she was alive, AT LEAST WHITE MASSAH KNOWS I EXIST. it's terrible and i'm glad that that Southern culture of keeping (free) black folks in a slave mentality is pretty much dead.

incidentally, i'm on a yahoogroup called BLORCH with 20-30 people i graduated with and some friends, and it's generally political discussion with some videogaming thrown in. one thing we do is have a "BLORCH Feel-Good Story of the Day" where every day (well, 4 out of 5) someone posts a news story that's twisted, ironic, funny, sickening, whatever. like "French Businesswoman Gang-Raped in Dubai, Jailed For Adultery Upon Reporting It".

at the end of each November, we gather all the stories and poll to find the "BLORCH Feel-Good Story of the Year". the winner this year was something I think I posted here:

http://www.adn.com/front/story/4110831p-4127072c.html
Bear Lover Becomes Bear Chow ON TAPE

A California author and filmmaker who became famous for trekking to Alaska's remote Katmai coast to commune with brown bears has fallen victim to the teeth and claws of the wild animals he loved.

Alaska State Troopers and National Park Service officials said Timothy Treadwell, 46, and girlfriend Amie Huguenard, 37, were killed and partially eaten by a bear or bears near Kaflia Bay, about 300 miles southwest of Anchorage, earlier this week.

Scientists who study Alaska brown bears said they had been warning Treadwell for years that he needed to be more careful around the huge and powerful coastal twin of the grizzly.

Treadwell's films of close-up encounters with giant bears brought him a bounty of national media attention. The fearless former drug addict from Malibu, Calif. -- who routinely eased up close to bears to chant "I love you'' in a high-pitched, sing-song voice -- was the subject of a show on the Discovery Channel and a report on "Dateline NBC." Blond, good-looking and charismatic, he appeared for interviews on David Letterman's show and "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" to talk about his bears. He even gave them names: Booble, Aunt Melissa, Mr. Chocolate, Freckles and Molly, among others. A self-proclaimed eco-warrior, he attracted something of a cult following too. Chuck Bartlebaugh of "Be Bear Aware,'' a national bear awareness campaign, called Treadwell one of the leaders of a group of people engaged in "a trend to promote getting close to bears to show they were not dangerous.

(story continues on site. the "ON TAPE" part came out a day later, when they discovered there were audiotapes of him screaming and dying and being munched on)

i didnt realize he was giving her $. i mean, it's not "ok" one way or the other. i guess it depends on if she feels alright or not. essentially.