Looking for a cheap USB Interface

mr.L.

Jul 25, 2006
Netherlands
I am doing some home recording and the next thing I want to purchase is a new audio interface. My budget is about 200 euros and I want something that will allow me to record 24 bits and supports at least 44.1 and 48 khz. Preferably the device should have two jack and two XLR inputs. Which interface would get me the best possible sound quality for such a small budget?

Razorjack said:
This looks alright and is just over 200 Euro.

Thanks for the tip, that one looks suitable for my purposes. The only problem would be that it does not seem to allow for recording on all channels when the bitrate is higher than 16 :erk:, but I gues that can't be fixed at this price. Does anyone here have experience with this unit or any other unit in the price range?

mr.L. said:
Thanks for the tip, that one looks suitable for my purposes. The only problem would be that it does not seem to allow for recording on all channels when the bitrate is higher than 16 :erk:, but I gues that can't be fixed at this price. Does anyone here have experience with this unit or any other unit in the price range?

USB 1.0 will not allow for more than stereo in/out, for more inputs you need to go Firewire or USB 2.0.

Razorjack said:
USB 1.0 will not allow for more than stereo in/out, for more inputs you need to go Firewire or USB 2.0.

Ok, the specs do however indicate that it can receive from all four channels when it is in 16 bit at 44.1kz, so might it be USB 2.0 anyway but just limited?
Anyway I would like to keep the option open for recording with two mics (or mic and DI) so maybe something like the Edirol FA-66 might be better. THat would mean that I have to save a extra 80 euros, but then again if that keeps me going for a longer time it seems worth the investment.

mr.L. said:
If you look at the specs @ http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-focus.html it seems that it does. They also promote it as a 4x4 interface, but unfortunately this only goes for 16 bits 44.1khz recording. So if any one has any tips for a good interface that would allow me to record with two microphones or mic and DI @24 bits and 48khz I would be very happy? My max is about 300 euros

Does it have to be USB? Is USB 2.0, Firewire, or PCI a possibility?

All of the above are an option, I was first going for portability but if PCI is going to get me better sound and options for less money I might be tempted to go along that route.