A really cheap interface for a friend

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
A friend of mine wants a USB audio and MIDI interface for doing very basic recording. Obviously there are many different interfaces that fit the bill, but what are peoples experiences of the under £150 interface market?
What works and what sucks?

Maybe something like M Audio Fast Track MkII - seems like M-Audio's interfaces are pretty reliable and it also happens to have phantom power on such a cheap interface, something in the sub $150 crowd you are not that likely to come across.

Cheap M-Audio interfaces are pretty dodgy in the reliability department (and I doubt the sound quality is stellar, especially from a company that makes the Audio Buddy :ill: ), my friend got a Presonus Audiobox USB that's been working out well for him

An M-Audio Jam Lab off ebay and a USB to MIDI Adaptor off eBay - thats the cheapest way i can think

Although i have a jam lab here and i hate the dam thing... its terrible - it seems to create a terrible clipping noise very easily when using hot pickups in your guitar and its hard to get a decent volume out of the thing... but they are piss cheap

In fact i might put it up for sale in the for sale section

tascam us-122l

I have a tascam us-144 and it's pretty good. the 122 is the same but it doesn't have spidf, which I never use anyway

it has two mic inputs 1 phantom power and instrument input.

The latency could be better, but I can still play live guitar vsts, so I am happy