Looking for a guitar that isn't just a metal guitar!

WRrEeTaIRtEhDs

New Metal Member
Jan 20, 2011
Ansikten!

I've been looking for a guitar that suits more genres than just metal for I don't know how long. PRS makes some good stuff, I especially love the cosmetics (the Custom 24 is just teh sechz) and the warm, full tone.
But apart from that I can't seem to fucking find ANYTHING, I mean all I want is a guitar that's great for metal, great for cleans, has a warm, full, smooth and clean sound and doesn't look like it got hit by a freaking bulldozer and some one tried to fix it with pointy razors. I want something classy, that's why I love the PRS Custom 24, but it's too damn expensive.

And of course, I preferraly want quality stuff. Not some crappy bolt on neck on a basswood body or anything. I adore the distorted sound on Ghost Reveries by Opeth, if that helps :)

You need to consider that many guitar manufacturers use the same pickups in most of their different models, and that the factory-installed pickups (even name-brand pickups such as Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and EMG) aren't always the best combination with the type of would that a specific guitar is constructed from. If you want a versatile guitar, expect to replace at least one pickup. For instance, I have an old mid `90s Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional with Jackson-branded pickups. The bridge pickup sounds great - equal to any Duncan or EMG I have used with that guitar model - but the neck pickup isn't very clean. On the other hand, I also have a mid `90s USA Jackson AT1 with Kent Armstrong pickups. The neck pickup has the best clean tone I have ever heard from a humbucker, but the bridge pickup isn't ideal for metal, so I replaced it. Yes, the wood(s) will make a difference in tone, but you should focus on getting a guitar that is comfortable to play, and choose pickups that are right for your playing style.

I would say...... look at around at what non-metal players play and compare it to what metal players play. Gibsons (particularly Les Pauls) and Strats are used by a wide variety of musicians. If you don't get too hot of a pick-up and too thin of a body, Ibanez makes a great deal of "well rounded" guitars as well. I have an old (1992 or so) import (Korean made) Ibanez that does a really good job on metal, but also sounds good for other stuff. I like it so much, in fact, I am restoring the guitar even though it is not actually an expensive guitar and worth very little.
Have you thought about buying an acoustic ? You didn't say that you had one or not. You can get a decent playing acoustic/electric for about $150 if yo9u go with a solid top Yamaha or Epiphone. That will take you into a different world of techniques.

Bryant

You might try an ESP Eclipse - I got one recently & while I do use it primarily for metal, it is absolutely one of the best playing & highest quality guitars I've ever had. You could easily play any style with it & it would sound great. It has a basic black finish & classic Les Paul shape so it doesn't look like a weapon or anything either.