Looking for a new mixer

davidpotesta

New Metal Member
Aug 26, 2006
I am using Pro Tools 9 and Logic Pro 9. I am currently using an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, which is a Firewire interface. I'm looking for a bigger and better mixer with better preamps that this device. I'd like one with enough inputs to do a whole band including a complete drum kit. What are some reputable mixers with good preamps? I know that a mixer can be bought for a low price of $200 all the way up to many hundreds of thousands of dollars for Neves. My price range is somewhere in the $1500-$2500 range.

Are you looking for a mixer just for the preamps? If so, you'd probably get better bang for your buck with "just" good quality preamp/interfaces.

OTOH, with a decent mixer you usually get aux sends for headphone ques, EQs, routing etc.
If you want to go that way, take into calculations the cost of the monitoring lines, headphones & headphone amp(s), cables to and from the mixer to the interface(s) etc.

It's also a workflow thing. I love to record with a desk, I can do several things almost at once if I have to. We use a Toft ATB24 that cost about €5k new and that has decent preamps and good EQs.

Some oldish 24 channel Mackies, 16 chan Tofts, Soundcraft Ghosts can probably be bought second hand in your price range? I haven't kept up with the prices lately.. I'm not sure if you can get a mixer with that much better preamps than what you have with your budget.

Yeah, lots and lots of desks in that price range nowadays. One of the most often seen boards like that are the Soundcraft Ghost and Mackie 8bus. Not spectacular boards by any means, but widely used. You can also get a lot of cool older 80's desks, Soundtracs, Tascams, Otaris etc.

Just keep in mind that these boards require a) lots of I/O b) regular maintenance that can easily cost two or three times as much as the mixer itself.

Allen & Heath Zed R16 is 16 channels and acts as a firewire interface. You might have to keep your Projectmix though if you want decent DAW control as the A&H doesn't have motorized faders.

I was looking at that A&H Firewire and also the Z16 (I think that's what it's called). They seem pretty nice. The reason I want to look into updating is that now that PT10 is out, this is the last version of Pro Tools that will support the projectMix I/O. Supposedly, when PT 11 comes out, which when you're dealing with Avid could be any day now, one can't use the ProjectMix I/O any longer.

Some of the one's that interest me:

1. Allen and Heath Zed 16 and the other Firewire one which is more expensive
2. The new PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2. I've hear a lot of good things about their preamps but I don't want all the built in digital effects that come with it. I think that this brings the price up so much higher and I won't use them. A long time ago I had a Roland VM3100 that had all kinds of effects built in and I never used them, so I think this is an added expense that I don't need.

I'm going to take a look at some used boards, that's a good idea. Are there any boards that have a good reputation for longevity within my price range?