Looking for atmospheric, melancholic, epic, melodic metal.

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
So lately, I've been listening to a lot of stuff that seems to be unified more by the vibe I get from the material rather than the actual sound of the bands - Funeral's 'From These Wounds', Drudkh's 'Blood In Our Wells', Mortifera's 'Vastiia Tenebrd Mortifera', Jesu's self-titled, Shining's 'IV', as well as odd tracks I've got downloaded by bands like Forgotten Tomb and Alcest - so, I'm tending to lean towards the area of suicidal or doom-tinged black metal, but also melodic doom/death, shoegazing Neurisis-core - generally anything that's got a sort of all-encompassing, powerful, epic sound and a downbeat, miserable vibe to it.

So, with those admittedly rather vague and broad criteria, I was hoping you folks would be able to point me towards some other stuff I should check out.

Darkestrah (since you like Drudkh and Negura Bunget)
Nae'blis (Depressive melancholic black metal very emotional)
Beatrik (Depressive black metal, with a thick atmosphere running throughout)

I'm tending to lean towards the area of suicidal or doom-tinged black metal, but also melodic doom/death, shoegazing Neurisis-core - generally anything that's got a sort of all-encompassing, powerful, epic sound and a downbeat, miserable vibe to it.

yeah, that's pretty broad

I know, I know... it's kinda driving me mad, because I'll put on something and hear one element that's striking a chord with me(synth/keyboard accompaniments that manage to blend natural, organic, pastoral ambience and orchestral bombast, or sorrowful, delayed lead guitar work that makes you feel miserable even as you relentless hum it to yourself), but then I'll have a hankering for something with a similar vibe that contains another element I seem to have a craving for but misses out something else, so I end up changing track to hear that, only to end up thinking "Hmm, this has really put me in the mood to listen to 'X'" about forty seconds in...

I know, I know... it's kinda driving me mad, because I'll put on something and hear one element that's striking a chord with me(synth/keyboard accompaniments that manage to blend natural, organic, pastoral ambience and orchestral bombast, or sorrowful, delayed lead guitar work that makes you feel miserable even as you relentless hum it to yourself), but then I'll have a hankering for something with a similar vibe that contains another element I seem to have a craving for but misses out something else, so I end up changing track to hear that, only to end up thinking "Hmm, this has really put me in the mood to listen to 'X'" about forty seconds in...

songsofmoors.jpg

Did you try that Häive band in the sticky thread? It's melancholic and dark but with a tinge of beauty and hope in the melodies and mood. It might fit the bill, but it's obviously hard to say, with your definition being so vague ;)

Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind
Very challenging record, much unheard of despite being from the same era/nationality/scene whatever as bands like Fleurety and Ved Buens Ende that seem to get a lot more appreciation as time goes by. That much to say: this is excellent cold black metal with brains and brilliant melodic work. And a bit of shoegaze, too, just for you dilly dear :oops:

Beginning the process of checking everything in this thread out right now...

Darkestrah: I think I'm going to be buying Embrace of Memory when I get paid on Thursday - just checked out 'Black Cathedral' and 'Marching of the Hordes'. Bit of an overlong intro to the latter, but I particularly liked the drumming in 'Black Cathedral'. The riffage is ace throughout, more aggressive and driving than I was expecting, but definitely very cool.

Nae'blis: Just listened to 'The Death of Mankind Part I' from Death of Mankind... A Dream (a split with Dominion) and 'I Close My Eyes to the World' from Beyond The Light - the vocals don't do much for me, but I love the guitar harmonies and the support from the synths - as you said, Swizzlenuts, very emotional stuff. The music's got a very nice balance between being despondent and uplifting - definitely going to look into this more.

Beatrik - Not too shabby - the first half of the single track on this Myspace page gets a little samey after a while seeming to consist of three variations on the same them - very weird, sinister-sounding variations, admittedly - but I was glad when it changed gear a bit for the second half. Very nice bass guitar work.

Lunar Aurora - 'Findling' from Andacht=teh fucking WIN. Really, really like this. I'm not even going to listen to any of the other samples on the MySpace - I'm just ordering Cold Dimensions on Thursday and waiting until it arrives.

Empyrium - Okay, I'm totally gay for having listened to MP3s of these guys before, and thinking 'yeah, that's pretty cool, might pick some up' but never actually getting round to it. Just listened to 'Ode to Melancholy'. Beautiful music, almost exactly the kind of sound I had in mind when I started the thread. Maybe I was subconsciously begging to be reminded of this? Who knows.

Haive: Will post my thoughts in the stickied thread when I've given them a listen.

Forgotten Woods - Maybe it's just as a result of coming after Empyrium, but 'The Velvet Room' didn't engage me as much as other (presumably later?) material I've heard from Forgotten Woods.

Some wicked stuff in there so far guys, keep 'em coming!

Nae'blis: Just listened to 'The Death of Mankind Part I' from Death of Mankind... A Dream (a split with Dominion) and 'I Close My Eyes to the World' from Beyond The Light

Oh man dill, if that's all you heard from them, drop what you doing and go listen to both "Sketches of Reality" and "No Purpose in Life" from Sketches of Reality, their 2007 release (if you're able to track it down). More polished and more of everything you're looking for, all leading up to an incredibly powerful ending.

You also need to get Darkestrah - Epos. Mandatory release from this year and a clear evolution in their sound showcasing fewer periods of aggression, but tons of atmosphere.

Jason

Darkestrah: I think I'm going to be buying Embrace of Memory when I get paid on Thursday

Don't. Get Epos instead.

Empyrium - Okay, I'm totally gay for having listened to MP3s of these guys before, and thinking 'yeah, that's pretty cool, might pick some up' but never actually getting round to it. Just listened to 'Ode to Melancholy'. Beautiful music, almost exactly the kind of sound I had in mind when I started the thread. Maybe I was subconsciously begging to be reminded of this? Who knows.

Goddamn I'm good.

ive been kind of in the same mood. that Funeral album is tops. been listening to jesu's lifeline and pale sketches a lot. the latest two amorphis albums, and tons of novembers doom. ND's latest might be good for you, maybe the latest Officium Triste, or even Keen of the Crow.

Swans always fits.

Arcane Sun