Looking for Epic Songs like "December Flower"

kimmystrongarms

New Metal Member
Oct 20, 2014
I was introduced to In Flames probably about 6 years ago and listened to mainly their stuff Post-Clayman, but now I'm starting to get into their older stuff. So far, I'd have to say my favorite 'Old In Flames' song is December Flower... the song just reaks of epicness. I was just wondering which songs resemble December Flower in some aspects (Incredible riffs, solos, etc...) and would appreciate it if some longtime Jesterheads could recommend some songs from Clayman, Colony, Whoracle, and the Jester Race...

Just listen to everything from TJR - Clayman back to front, pretty much all of it is fantastic. You won't find that many solos in their music, but plenty of amazing riffs.

Just listen to everything from TJR - Clayman back to front, pretty much all of it is fantastic. You won't find that many solos in their music, but plenty of amazing riffs.

Thanks, I'm really starting to see the gripe IF fans have with the new music. The old stuff had better song structure, riffs, etc... I admit that I am a fan of the new stuff, but it doesn't come close to their old work in terms of musicianship.

It's great that you're getting into the older stuff, most new fans don't really bother. If you enjoy metal then you should love every one of these albums.

I figured that I had neglected their old stuff for too long, plus I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm enjoying it so far.

Contrary to what Krofius and Jester Slave may have you believe, those of us who prefer the older stuff aren't all doing it just to be elitist dicks... we just think the older stuff is better :D it's a shame the band's newer music doesn't act as a gateway to their older material for most fans, but they've deviated so far from their original sound that it isn't surprising.

Lol, don't worry I believe you. So many bands/artists deviate from the music their fans know and love and it can be extremely frustrating. Really boggles my mind how much IF have changed after listening to quite a bit of their older stuff. I listened to all of Clayman and most of TJR, must say I liked Clayman more overall, but both great albums. Looking forward to listening to the rest.

Contrary to what Krofius and Jester Slave may have you believe, those of us who prefer the older stuff aren't all doing it just to be elitist dicks... we just think the older stuff is better :D it's a shame the band's newer music doesn't act as a gateway to their older material for most fans, but they've deviated so far from their original sound that it isn't surprising.

Maybe Jester Slave think's that but I don't lol, don't lie about my golden reputation :D
I've said countless of times every opinion is fine.

The older stuff is objectively better in every sense. If you're just now getting into this style of music, send me a PM if you want and I have loads of recommendations for you. But like the other guy said, listen to everything from Lunar Strain - Clayman and it'll eventually click. Not really a bad song to be found.

I love the guitars on Subterranean, the vocals less so. It's just not In Flames, neither are the lyrics, which just make me chuckle.

I consider TJR the first "real" In Flames album. The previous two are just groups of session musicians jamming and putting it under the moniker of In Flames.

Stand Ablaze is an awesome song, though... but I prefer the live version from 1999.

You'll find amazing guitar riffs/solos in most tracks.

Listen to all of Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman albums.

All kinds of beautiful melodies

I've listened to all of Colony, Clayman, and TJR in the past couple days... some of Whoracle. Must say Colony and Clayman are my favorite out of the bunch. Might change after giving them all a few listens.

Colony/Clayman are more straight melodic metal, whereas LS/Sub/TJR/Whoracle are closer to the melodeath category. All excellent albums, though I tend to rank Colony & Clayman higher as well, probably partially due to better vocals and partially due to better production. Musically I find TJR/Whoracle overall on par with Colony/Clayman, but let down a little by the production, particularly Whoracle.

I'm the opposite. I find Clayman very overproduced. The guitars sound good though, but I think Whoracle and Colony have the two best guitar sounds of any In Flames album.

Not sure about the apathy towards Lunar Strain/Subterranean. They're awesome records. The riffs are killer and all the acoustic work is a lovely extra. More bands should incorporate acoustic passages in their songs.

Edit for a massive mistake on my part.

Deliver Us is a pretty epic song. Also In Plain View and Filtered Truth are good. You should listen them.

I'm the opposite. I find Clayman very overproduced. The guitars sound good though. I think Whoracle and Clayman have the two best guitar sounds of any In Flames album.

Some of the vocals on Clayman are a bit overproduced (though imo it's to cover for Anders' voice becoming increasingly weak around that period, same thing happens on Reroute) but the overall sound is incredibly crisp. It's a guitar driven album and the guitars sound perfect.

Not sure about the apathy towards Lunar Strain/Subterranean. They're awesome records. The riffs are killer and all the acoustic work is a lovely extra. More bands should incorporate acoustic passages in their songs.

Lunar/Sub are both decent albums, in context, but the band had no established drummer or vocalist during that period, and considering only a year passed between these two records being released the change in sound is really noticeable. Subterranean is a lot more melodic than LS, which I guess is closer to standard DM. LS/Sub are more like Jesper + others demo tracks, with the nucleus of the band going forward (Anders, Jesper, Bjorn) only appearing from TJR onwards.

Deliver Us is a pretty epic song. Also In Plain View and Filtered Truth are good. You should listen them.

You should read to what he wrote. The guy knows well the new albums and wants to listen to the old stuff.

Deliver Us is epic my ass.