December Flower Solo

DarkTom666

Oct 20, 2009
Montréal, Québec
Hey guys, I would like some insight on the solo of December Flower.

I made a cover of it and received information from a certain person, but I do not know if it is legitimate or whatnot.

First of all, here's the cover in question:

And here's the quote:

I know the solo quite well - there's a story behind this... before YouTube, many years before, there was a group of guitarists on the In Flames forum that considered this the holy grail of solos. Amateur recordings and insights were traded, someone got in contact with Fredrik Johansson regarding it and he provided some valuable insight into the solo. I don't have a copy of any of these conversations (the IF forum was deleted, don't have the PMs either), but I have a decent recollection of it.

-There is no tapping in the solo, hand positioning is key for those parts. Starting on the 6th string for the opening run makes it much easier than starting on the 5th.
-At 0:10 and 0:24, I believe parts of those runs are legato, not alternate picked.
-A few of the slides don't sound quite right, the pick noise in this video makes a bit tough to decipher. I believe one of the earlier ones at 0:07 should be a bend. The last one around 0:17 doesn't sound quite right, you played either an extra pick stroke, or maybe it should be shifted a string down? Not sure on that one.

Anyone would have any information on this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: