Looking for feedback on my death metal mix

Larphi

New Metal Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hi all,
I'm guitarist in Horror Within,a slamming death metal band from Montpellier, France (https://www.facebook.com/HorrorWithin).
For now, I'm in charge of everything concerning mixing / mastering, in DIY mode.
We have already released two singles:

Regardless of the music, I would like to have your feedback concerning my job on these two songs.

Thank you in advance

Hi man! First of all - cool stuff but let's talk 'bout the mixes:
1) Both mixes sound very hollow and thin. I assume that you have too much of a subtractive EQ on Master Bus with big low cut.
2) Low end. It's missing. I hear your bass but bass itself can't do all the low-end work. It must be a combination of bass, kick drum and guitars!
3) You used too mush reverb! And I mean it - TOO MUCH! Sounds like the band is playing in a pool or huge bathroom. Remember - reverb is your enemy, not friend! Especially in death-metal.
4) Guitars. They sound very fizzy and thin despite the tuning. And I think you play in some low tuning, but the way you treat guitars in a mix don't do them justice at all :(
5) Vocals are put very deep into the mix. Can barely hear that you have a vocalist. And again - toooo muuuuuch reveeeerrrrrrb.
6) Drums. Weak. Very weak. This is NOT the sound for this genre of metal.

Overall: mixes are kinda good as for the demo to show your ideas to someone.
Once again - I didn't mean to be rude in any way!

Hey ! Thank you for you feedback, and don't worry, I really appreciate your honesty !
First of all, here is some references about my taste about mixing/mastering :

Then, I have some questions/explanations :
- What do you mean by "Both mixes sound very hollow and thin" ? There is no low cut on master bus, and when I listen to these songs on my monitor speakers or headphones, they seem very bassy and fat. Same comment about your point 2). So I don't really understand your comment, because I don't have the same feeling at all
- About the guitars : yeah, I know they sound very fizzy, but it was the purpose. I wanted a sound similar to the swedish "Buzzsaw" guitar tone (Entombed, Dismember,...) : ugly and very distorted.
- About the drums : what do you mean by "weak" ? Again, on my monitor speakers or headphones, they seem powerful. Do you have some examples ?

I don't defend my mix, but I just want to understand some points where our feelings are completely opposite ;)

Ce qu'il veux dire par Hollow et thin c'est que ton mix est très scoopé, les mediums qui font le coté percussif, agressif et "plein" ne sont pas la. Ton mix est très mid-scoopé sur son ensemble.
Est ce que tu as de l'EQ sur ton master?
Pareil pour la batterie, le fait qu'il n'y ai pas de medium la rend faiblarde.

En vrai dans un style death oldies ton mix passe bien, mais par rapport aux références modernes avec un medium bien plein c'est a coté.