Looking for good advice: Most common problems with 5150 amps?

Grats man. I told my cousin to go grab it 2 weeks ago, but he has his own Randall thing going right now. Unless it falls apart in 2 hours, i believe you got a great deal rigth there. And i cant believe it has been that long on dba.

I've been using my 5150 combo for 4 years now, and ive been long dealing with it's issues...

-It takes a while to tweak everything just right... but when u do it sings! It DOES sound comparitively good to other amps at low volumes... but u really gotta crank it to at least 3 or 4.

-Avoid long single chains and minimize your pedal collection (or loop ur pedals) if you dont want it to sound like a line 6...

-The thing is a 90 pound beast! I eventually opted for an extension cab, and i yanked the speakers out to make it easier to move. I'm going to do the "Head Mod" as people have suggested here. Feel free to PM me and I will send you the instructions how to do this.

I also have an intermittent problem with mine right now, where i get squealing with no guitar plugged in and the preamp gain is turned up past 5... Except both times i took it in for service it magically repaired itself:bah:

I'll let u know if i learn anything.

other than that.... I LOVE the thing!!

I also have an intermittent problem with mine right now, where i get squealing with no guitar plugged in and the preamp gain is turned up past 5... Except both times i took it in for service it magically repaired itself:bah:

Sounds like a tube going microphonic.

Sounds like a tube going microphonic.

Thats the first thing I thought... so i tapped all the preamp tubes with a pencil, swapped around all the preamp tubes and no change. Then suddenly one day it was fine.

Admittedly, I havent checked the poweramp tubes... cause i didnt learn how to until after the amp fixed itself.