Jan 17, 2008
Hey guys, I'm looking for some good modern bands. These are albums I like:

Metallica - First four albums
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven, and get into their other albums too
Sepultura - Chaos A.D., some of their other stuff
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Black Sabbath - anything with Oz
Testament - The Gathering

Basically I like thrash stuff but not the blast beat nonstop on every song, stuff a bit more creative. I like the slow dark riffed type stuff too like pantera and sabbath. I like vocals like Chuck Billy, Max Cavalera, Phil Anselmo when he was with pantera, I can't get into death vocals. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

I love your taste but I'm finding it hard to come up with recs... Not new, but how about Kreator? You ever listen to them? And Destruction. And maybe Baghead. I also think Chimaira sounds like Pantera but they have hardcore punk vocals so I don't know if you'd be into that. I also just got this album by Candlemass you'd probably like called King of the Grey Islands, heavy kinda Sabbathish stuff, no death vocals.

Although I can't listen to them anymore, you would probably like Lamb of God. His vocals are Harsh but they are nowhere near a death growl/grunt to me. Just work backwards in their discography.

Edit: And you should check out Primordial's To the Namless Dead.

So far I've checked these out:

Inheritance - didn't like
Candlemass - loved
Chimaira - not sure
Lamb of God - liked
Primordial - liked
Kreator - we go way back
Mercyful Fate - a buddy of mine in high school was a HUGE king diamond fan but I never did like his stuff.
Celtic Frost - I've liked them but never enough to get their albums
Bathory - didnt like
Blind Gaurdian - I had their album with nightfall on it but this stuff really isn't the style I like, I don't get into power metal
Inflames - never have liked them
Unearth - interesting, will have to hear more

Thanks guys, you've helped a lot.

QUOTE BEYONDSTRENGTH
Basically I like thrash stuff but not the blast beat nonstop on every song, stuff a bit more creative. I like the slow dark riffed type stuff too like pantera and sabbath. I like vocals like Chuck Billy, Max Cavalera, Phil Anselmo when he was with pantera, I can't get into death vocals. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for the same stuff.
Communic- "Waves Of Visual Decay" is very good.
Death metal is fine, though I don't like death vocals as well.
Communic has heavy / beautiful vocals and they are mainly thrash w/ some prog metal mixed in. Thier music is very raw and thrashy yet creative and complex enough to make you think.
If you check out Communic, let me know what ya think. Sounds like they may be right up your alley?

also
Tad Morose
Steel Attack
Pyramaze

Communic - a bit light on the intensity side for me but it is definitely thoughtful.
Pariah - liked it!
Tad Morose - liked the band, hated the vocals
Steel Attack - liked the band, didn't like the vocals
Pyramaze - didn't like

If you guys check out:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=12164577
listen to fall of siple doom, this is what I'm listening too right now, the album and loving it.

Holy shit, do any of you guys like a band called Gojira? I'll definitely be looking to buy a Gojira album sometime soon. Wow.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCexKz35M44&feature=related[/ame]

Wow, Hatesphere is badass!

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLcm3-3AmA&NR=1
Mediocre...you can do better than that...
Holy shit, do any of you guys like a band called Gojira? I'll definitely be looking to buy a Gojira album sometime soon. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCexKz35M44&feature=related
Much more like it...check out Nile + Behemoth.

Based on the thrash stuff you named, I'm gonna recommend the last 2 Kreator albums (Enemy of God and Violent Revolution) and M-16 by Sodom.
Also, try Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh. Good groovy death metal, very modern sound.