Looking for new preamps

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Ok, the guy who are mixing my last recording said me that I did a great job but the guitars lack some punch and depth cause I didn't use a great preamp.
In this case I used the m-audio 2626 preamps (he reamped all the guitars so it's not a big problem). I also have a focusrite Octopre LE but the preamps don't sound different at all from the m-audio's.
So...I'm looking for a new preamp to use for guitars and maybe kick and snare, but mainly for guitars...it means that I need a 2 or 4 channels preamp.
Do you have any advice? Actually I don't wanna spend 2000€ for a single preamp but way less.
What about the RME QuadMic? Probably it will make no difference from my actual preamps....it's too cheap to be a great unit.
I read good things about the GoldenAge Project Pre73.
Any good advice?
Thanks

I recently got a Pre-73 with the full zen pro mod. It really is a great sounding preamp, and I plan on getting another one. It definitely makes what ever you put through it cut through the mix, and adds a little saturation to it, something you won't get from the typical firewire 8 mic pre units.

I'm working on doing a mic pre shoot out on with this one and a few other pres I have.

+1 for the Golden age pre 73, it`s a neve clone , i saw this unit in Tue madsen`s rack, the stock one sound good, the modded ones sound wery wery close to the reals, for a fraction of the price.

Ok, the guy who are mixing my last recording said me that I did a great job but the guitars lack some punch and depth cause I didn't use a great preamp.

While a great preamp does affect the sound, I can almost guarantee the lack of punch and depth isn't because you used the ProFire's preamps. There are a hundred factors that contribute to that more than the mic preamp used, as long as it's a decent one and not utterly crappy.

Yeah I know...but when you're not sure if it will affect the sound in a big way...I mean...in a 2000€ way...it's not that easy to invest in a 1000€/preamp channel unit

Anyway, do you think that these Golden Age pre73 or JoeMeek can give me a better sound that my actual m-audio/Focusrite preamps?
I mean, do they worth the money they cost? It's close to 300€, not too much, but if they change nothing to the sound...I think it's a useless expense

A preamp is not going to make a bad guitar tone good, or a good guitar tone great. I would suggest once you really hit a brick wall with your tones, that's when you say "okay, I NEED a new preamp."

Of course..but when you work with clients you need the best chain possible...and you can't change players..you have to deal with who comes to you.
My goal is not trasform a bad tone in a good tone, but improve a good tone.

I kind of agree with anyone else, sort out EVERYTHING else in your chain first. My tones definitely improved as soon as I got a high quality DI / Reamp box, maybe try some different mics? If your happy with everything else you have start upgrading pre's. I would just get a really nice one or two channel unit something like an API 3124+ or equivalent quality.

I'm happy with all my gear...main amp is 6505+, cab is a marshall 1960 or the band's cabs...I have several mics, 2 sm57 and 1 Adk that sounds awesome...my DI-Reamp box is a LittleLabs RedEye. I'm really happy with my gear.