Recommend me some preamps

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good preamp for guitar recording (under 1000 bucks).

I'm using a Digi 003 and a Octopre Platinum, the preamps on the Digi are fine, the Octopre are a bit better, but I'm trying to improve my guitar tone and I understand preamps are important in the chain.

Thanks.

I think the difference between the Octopre and an expensive preamp will be so minimal that will not worth spending the money. My opinion at least.

Chandler germanium will give you something that you can't get with the octopre, colour and saturation. Can't say I agree with the above that there won't be a difference.

Been curious about the API/Neve kind of stuff for quite a while now. I'd get the single channel stuff for gtr/vocals, but that needs the lunchbox as well, AFAIK?

I think the difference between the Octopre and an expensive preamp will be so minimal that will not worth spending the money. My opinion at least.

+1

Take it from me which have both medium priced pres to REALLY expensive ones. The difference is neglectable. There are allot of things you should invest in instead of preamps. The octopre is really good, i've got one myself :)

If you wish to get 1-2channels of highend preamps the Api a2d is superb. Or get a lunchbox and get a neve or api. But that will set you back quite a bit in terms of $

+1 to holding off on the preamp

i believe it was lasse who posted a shootout a few years ago where he reamped the same DI tracks several times, changing only the preamp in the signal chain. while there was a noticeable difference in each, it wasn't a HUGE difference, and definitely not enough to make a huge difference in the results.

all in all, moving a mic 2 inches off of the cab or changing its angle will have a much more drastic change in tone than dropping a bunch of cash on some pres

+1

Take it from me which have both medium priced pres to REALLY expensive ones. The difference is neglectable. There are allot of things you should invest in instead of preamps. The octopre is really good, i've got one myself :)

If you wish to get 1-2channels of highend preamps the Api a2d is superb. Or get a lunchbox and get a neve or api. But that will set you back quite a bit in terms of $

Not to disagree with you... but you're also using some of the best converters money can buy, and mics.

The difference between the pres in my Saffire Pro 40 and my Focusrite ISA428 and Audient ASP008 are pretty big IMO. Not something that's going to completely make or break a recording, sure, but I've found it's so much easier to mix things recorded through them than it ever was using the Saffire's pres. I barely have to do anything, as far as EQ goes, to tracks anymore, cause they just sit extremely well together.

Not to disagree with you... but you're also using some of the best converters money can buy, and mics.

The difference between the pres in my Saffire Pro 40 and my Focusrite ISA428 and Audient ASP008 are pretty big IMO. Not something that's going to completely make or break a recording, sure, but I've found it's so much easier to mix things recorded through them than it ever was using the Saffire's pres. I barely have to do anything, as far as EQ goes, to tracks anymore, cause they just sit extremely well together.

hmm make a comparison?

Check out Golden Age Project Gap73. Its a Neve clone.

Black Lion Audio also has a Bla b12 which is an Api clone