Looking for PA recommendations

Roncore

Sep 19, 2009
Hello all!

Singer is ready to buy his own PA and refuses pretty much to buy used, wants a warranty (sigh). We have been using a PA that is 250 Watts and could use a little louder system. We only run 2 vocals and occasionally a sub trigger (which won't be the case for long), so we don't need anything extravagant. It's just for our home studio/practice space.

We were checking out some of the pre-packaged deals last night on some sites and found a few.

I know Yamaha is pretty highly regarded in budget PA stuff, what do you think of this?

http://www.music123.com/pro-audio/yamaha-mg82cx--thump-th-15a-pa-package

We are open to any suggestions. I have no experience with Allen & Heath, or newer Alesis/Behringer gear. Any help is appreciated! He is trying to keep it sub 1k US.

I don't know a whole lot about PA stuff myself, but we bought one of these (mics didn't come with ours, and I'd think they are total shit anyway....):

DV016_Jpg_Large_501607_c-All.jpg

And it has held up pretty well for about 3-4 years now.

Though I hear that these things are pretty much all done if something breaks.

I was actually looking a Behringer system just now haha! I haven't had any experience with them since when they first started out and got the huge backlash regarding copying and QC.

We did have issues a few times where the head would just sorta cut in and out, like if a LOUD signal or subdrop gets sent through it. But I think that is mostly due to the unit being very picky about the voltage it sees, and our previous 2 practice spaces had sketchy wiring.

Now that you mention the heat, we did have the cutting-out issue happen on some brutally hot summer days as well.

Speakers are cheap plastic build, too. You may be better looking into the Yamaha stuff. I'm sure others will chime in here though.

Someone suggested I check out the Alto 12" powered speakers and the Mackie ProFX12.

^Thats what I was thinking, 450's are pretty loud and able to handle a decent amount of abuse. Allen & Heath Zed mixer would be decent enough for practicing with.

Pair of powered wedges and a small mixer is ideal for band practice. Easy to use and the amps are already matched properly to the speakers. If you get wedges then you can easily bring them along to gigs and use them if the venues not got adequate monitoring.

For practice you really don't need something more than this as a desk http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_xenyx_q1202_usb.htm

I got a cheap t-mix desk very similar to this for 45€ new about 3-4 years ago and it's the handiest thing to have. It's been used for countless rehearsals, a monitor controller on location recordings, a talkback system and even been used at a load of small gigs with a pair of tops. Also gets used in a home practice set-up in front of a looper to put keys, drum machine, bass and vocals through the looper for jamming ideas

Is the budget 900 bucks? I was gonna suggest Yamaha DSR112's.. awesome fidelity at high volume, but just one is 700ish from a dealer.

SRM450s, small mixer and a 31 band graphic EQ will probably do you just fine. The older SRM450s are better made, if you can find them.