Looking for some help with buffer sizes in nuendo

CRIMSON RECORDS

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2008
I don't know if anyone here even uses Nuendo haha but I'm having trouble stabilizing the sync information when I try to set up the buffer size in the devices control panel. I'm not sure if my computer specs even matter but my question is: What is a good configuration (buffer size or whatever else it should be) for a computer with 3.0 Ghz dual core processor, 3 GB of RAM, and an M-Audio Delta 1010 digital interface?
I've been trying a lot of different numbers and I've been increasing it according to the failed tests but it seems like one day it will be stable and stay at 0 but another it'll fail the test with the same settings. Also I have a Pod XT hooked up and it ALWAYS fails the test, but I think its just because its going through USB. Can I record with the pod using a 1/4 inch from the outputs into my interface or does it only record through USB?
Thanks a lot guys, I'm trying to build a studio in my basement hah so I'm still trying to figure everything out I really appreciate the help.

Most common buffer size when you're mixing or recording with direct monitoring enabled is 1024. Larger than this and the software starts to act and look very unsmooth and smaller size puts unnecessary strain on your system. If you need to play VSTi's in realtime though you need to go 128-256 to get short enough latency going. I've had the Delta 1010 and supported three friends using different M-Audio interfaces both USB and Firewire on very different computer setups and never had any issues with sync, so I have no idea what might be causing you having trouble with it, sorry.

Nah man what you said absolutely helped me out. I had no idea what an average buffer size even was, I had mine at 600 which was probably too low haha. I just changed it and tried it out and its actually really stable now, but for VST instruments I don't think it would run well at all at such a low buffer size. I'm just using addictive drums in Nuendo do you think I could keep it at 1024 for now or is that too high for it to produce a reliable latency?
Also, the direct monitoring your referring to... Is that the DMA Block option under the sync references?

Nah man what you said absolutely helped me out. I had no idea what an average buffer size even was, I had mine at 600 which was probably too low haha. I just changed it and tried it out and its actually really stable now, but for VST instruments I don't think it would run well at all at such a low buffer size. I'm just using addictive drums in Nuendo do you think I could keep it at 1024 for now or is that too high for it to produce a reliable latency?
Also, the direct monitoring your referring to... Is that the DMA Block option under the sync references?

No problem keeping it at 1024 if you're programming drums with the mouse or similar method. Only thing is you're going to have a 20-30ms latency which makes it pretty impossible to play any VSTi instruments with a keyboard basically but for system stability and smoothness, 1024 is da bomb. :saint:

About the DMA, can't remember if the 1010 even supported direct monitoring come to think of it. Check the manual for that.

Ok awesome thanks Plec :kickass:

ahjteam I am using 64, 128 or 256 when tracking (with cubase) and something between 1024 to 4096 when mixing

I tried to find all the Audio tweaks I could for Windows XP (forgot to mention i was running on XP) but I guess I missed one because I cant lower the buffer size below 512. When I input any other value lower than 512 it appears as 512 after I press enter anyway haha. Do you know if theres a tweak or something like that that I have to do for it to allow me to lower the buffer size to that extent ahj?