Looking to get back in the game. Amp advice.

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey gents,

It's been quite the year and I have pretty much neglected my playing and even obsessive music listening. Yes, I am ashamed, but life has it's way of steering you off course. Anyway, I am back!

Right now my gear selection is pretty limited. Still have the Les Paul, Strat, but need an amp. Still have my 4x12.

Basically looking for a solid overdrive and solid clean. I know, basic. Marshall-esque and some nice cleans. I might even be interested in a combo.

I'm leaning towards Blackstar. What else would you recommend? I've been away for so long that I don't even know what else is out there at the moment.

I'm still a prog nerd so anything Porcupine Tree inspired would do.

Thanks guys

5150 III mini is a great idea. Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKIIs are amazing and can be had cheap considering the new prices.

Good luck. Glad to see you're getting back into geetar :)

This thread is becoming a stereotypical Andy Sneap thread! :D

Basically looking for a solid overdrive and solid clean. I know, basic. Marshall-esque and some nice cleans. I might even be interested in a combo.

5150 III mini perhaps?

937202-facepalm_implied_super.jpg

Marshall esque: EL34 tubes... and that is not the 5150.

Orange Thunderverb if you're a vintage guy. If you're a modern guy and want a super clean clean channel you want the Rockerverb.

If Orange is too expensive then H&K Triamp is amazing for what you're looking for. Fender cleans and Marshall overdrive and even Mesa-like high gain if that's something you need.

Just get a JCM800 and use a Amplitube 3 free for cleans. Pref an early 80's vert input.

The only thing that gave me Marshally tone and good cleans was a Zwengel Banshee.

When he says Marshall sounds he might think about a high gain chucky shit-machine, since he thought about the EVH then that is the only thing I can think of.
And if you want a chuncky high gain rape-machine then the EVH is fine :)

Well if you are leaning toward Blackstar, why not lean a little further? Everything I've heard from those amps has been top notch.

Cheers guys - thanks for the suggestions.

The more I read about the 5153, the more I like! Definitely gonna save for one of those guys.

Joe

Hey gents,

It's been quite the year and I have pretty much neglected my playing and even obsessive music listening. Yes, I am ashamed, but life has it's way of steering you off course. Anyway, I am back!
Right now my gear selection is pretty limited. Still have the Les Paul, Strat, but need an amp. Still have my 4x12.
I'm leaning towards Blackstar. What else would you recommend? I've been away for so long that I don't even know what else is out there at the moment.
I'm still a prog nerd so anything Porcupine Tree inspired would do.
Thanks guys

This is is 50watts, affordable, compact, and will get the job done. However, it is solid state, but it is still cool;

http://www.amtelectronics.com/news/amt_stonehead-50-4_sh-50-4/

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a Marshall JVM? Good cleans and lots of Marshall tones packed into one head. I don't know what they go for over there, but here in the UK they are pretty cheap second hand.