looking to get this guitar sound

patrick1904

New Metal Member
Jul 29, 2007
ive been recording for a couple of months, mostly just practicing. trying different micing positions etc. but im looking to get this sound out of my recordings:

www.myspace.com/hopecon
www.myspace.com/riseandfall13
www.myspace.com/converge

will the fredman technique get me this sound? right now im running

Amps: 5150 / Mesa Boogie Mark III -boosted with a Bad Monkey
Cabs: Marshall JCM900 1960b / 1960a / Mesa Recto 4x12
Guitars: Gibson SG / ESP EC400 AT
Mic: Sennheiser E609 Silver / 2 SM57's soon!!!
Preamp: DBX 386
Interface: M-Audio Firewire Solo :erk:

it seems like everything i record is lacking the "balls" of the stuff ive heard on here. even after eq, c4, comp, etc its just not getting to the quality that some of you guys have. any advice and help would be GREATLY appriciated.

I can't speak to the second band, but the The Hope Conspiracy and Converge were both recorded by Kurt Ballou at Godcity Studio in Massachusetts.

Kurt is the guitarist in Converge, and also owns the studio. He has a large collection of vintage amplifiers, cabinets etc, you might want to check out the studio page for more on that, but I'm relatively sure he uses the Royer 121 or 122 on guitar amplifiers very often.

http://members.aol.com/godcity/

I can't speak to the second band, but the The Hope Conspiracy and Converge were both recorded by Kurt Ballou at Godcity Studio in Massachusetts.

Kurt is the guitarist in Converge, and also owns the studio. He has a large collection of vintage amplifiers, cabinets etc, you might want to check out the studio page for more on that, but I'm relatively sure he uses the Royer 121 or 122 on guitar amplifiers very often.

http://members.aol.com/godcity/

pretty sure Rise and Fall recorded at the same place, them same label and what not. but thanks for the info i did not know that. ive heard from multiple friends that the T Bone rb100 is a good replacment to the royers. any truth to that?

OT but im gonna see converge in a couple of weeks, i havent seen them in like 3 or 4 years. i was listening to the new album (sounds killer) and it clicked, thats the style im shooting for recording guitars. not exactly my style of music (well mostly the fans lol) but they still put on a good ass show.

Lack of balls…..without a sample of your recordings it’s hard to guess what is the problem exactly. Anyway, I don’t know if you tried this, but this is what I’d do:

1- Grab the SG and Mark III and crank it without the Bad Monkey. Try both cabinets and keep the one you like the most. It might seem the distortion is not enough, but for the type of sound you’re after, you don’t really need that much.

2- Set up you mic like this http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/274717-sneap-micing-techniques.html and test record. Then, play it back and adjust the bass and treble on the amp to fine tune. Your sound should improve by this stage, if not; try moving the mic around in that area.

The plugins will not give the balls you need; it got to come from the amp first. Of course, then you have all the other variables to play with (the room, cable, preamp, A-D converter…)

I hope it helps

I'll ask kurt next time when he's online what he uses... I know he uses a Marshall on the Converge recordings with everything almost on full and its cranked to the max.