Looping guitars

MaaneGarm

Gatekeeper
Apr 21, 2010
Norway
Hi!

The way that I've recorded in the past, was in a way that forced me to play each segment of a song over and over again, but that gets pretty repetative and boring, so I figured that I might just try the lazy way this time.

The way I did it: Played a riff, but continued one bar into the next. Played the next riff, doing the same thing, then x-fading them together.

I have a sample here, and the question is: Does it sound realistic enough?

Personally, I feel that I get much more from playing each riff over and over again. (sort of a more genuine feeling than copy-pasting.)

Sample: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6601587/test_run.mp3

Cheers,
MaaneGarm :kickass:

It's not bad. I think it really needs a lot of work done as far as mixing goes. The guitars need to be louder, and as I don't have much experience, that's all I have the advice I have to offer.

It's not bad. I think it really needs a lot of work done as far as mixing goes. The guitars need to be louder, and as I don't have much experience, that's all I have the advice I have to offer.

I haven't mixed it yet, since I only used it as a sample, but thanks for the feedback! :headbang:

Cheers,
MaaneGarm :kickass:

I often use this lazy method for, to give an example, breakdowns (when band struggles to make it tight...), or sections that come back like a chorus... Never had bad feedback about that, ppl like their choruses to sound the same... Sometimes the only instrument I really "re-do" for the second chorus is vocals...

I often use this lazy method for, to give an example, breakdowns (when band struggles to make it tight...), or sections that come back like a chorus... Never had bad feedback about that, ppl like their choruses to sound the same... Sometimes the only instrument I really "re-do" for the second chorus is vocals...

I know that many bands(including professional bands) use this method, but I think that it is called the "lazy method for a reason. When it comes to instruments it sounds tight, but when it comes to vocal it sounds copied and false... I like to record every segment individually since I get a better feeling about the song... It's different when playing the chorus the last time than the first time, you get a whole different feel.... and the dynamics change... So I admire the peole that make it work! :worship:

Cheers,
MaaneGarm :headbang:

I think you can get good results looping, or copy pasting, and proper crossovers. Ive done it before, and even when solod, with tight playing, and good editing skills, it can sound flawless. But that is an advantage of todays technology. We dont have to stick to old methods to get things done! Things are put out today so we can reduce work time, load, and get to the next faster.