Lordi

paradoxile

Den Sista Ljusbäraren
Jul 20, 2004
Israel
myspace.com
yes yes I know there's a thread about them in any possible UM forum but I couldn't help but see the resemblence to Swanö stuff
a.cheese
b.a band that love to ROCK!
c.bloodbath/ribspreader look to the extreme(kinda look like gwar)

and apearently they also won...

paradoxile said:
the resemblence to Swanö stuff
a.cheese
b.a band that love to ROCK!
c.bloodbath/ribspreader look to the extreme(kinda look like gwar)

A) is quite frequent in just about 80% of the metal bands.
I'd bet B) is pretty damn common too, since that's most likely why actives band do wht they do.
C) Each and every black metal (or other extreme music for that matter) band?

Yeah, huge resemblance...

First Finnish victory in "the great event", they deserve it.:headbang:
Not that the songs was very good but compared with some other stuff...:puke:
By the way...why is Israel part of the competition ? As far as i know i´s not a European country :lol:

We're European in spirit and most of the people are first or second or third generation to Jewish European Immigrants but besides that there are other countries that are not technically not in europe and participate in the Eurovision like cyprus, some of the countries from the former soviet union even Turkey
well turkey is a bridge between Asia and Europe.

By the way Israel is doing the eurovision since the 70's so we're older than most countries in the eurovision today...'

Gurgelguff said:
Maybe it´s time for USA to be a part of it ? Most of the population there ( apart from a few surviving indians ) is related to Europe ( or Africa ):)

The US declared independence more than 200 years ago and since then their "european culture" has evolved.as oppose to Israel where some of the people who brought European culture here are still alive so you can feel our European roots much better(off course there are people who imgrated here not from Arab countries,North Africa and America and you can feel their origin too).

We don't need to Americanize this too

It's funny but all the Israeli Eurovision winners(Gali Atari and Izhar Cohen in the 70's and Dana international in 98 or 99 )were all of non European origin)

Gurgelguff said:
First Finnish victory in "the great event", they deserve it.:headbang:
Not that the songs was very good but compared with some other stuff...:puke:
By the way...why is Israel part of the competition ? As far as i know i´s not a European country :lol:

maybe next year sweden will take part in the eurovision song contest with "the band called ROCK"?
:lol: :loco: :headbang:

IMO, Lordi should send some thank you letters to Wig Wam. Only by their getting-viewers-used-to-rock performance last year could Lordi go ahead and win the whole thing this year. Wig Wam were miles aheadof all the others last year, and should have won! :headbang:

Gurgelguff said:
Maybe it´s time for USA to be a part of it ? Most of the population there ( apart from a few surviving indians ) is related to Europe ( or Africa ):)

There is an idea for the US to do its own Eurovision-style thing, except do it as a competition between the 50 States.

Jim LotFP said:
There is an idea for the US to do its own Eurovision-style thing, except do it as a competition between the 50 States.
the us never comes up with its own ideas..o_O

@Jim LotFP: That's some excellent writing. Lordi are indeed not far removed from most of the stuff in Eurovision. The whole chock-factor is basically all about the masks, if you'd ask me. The sad thing is that their mere presence in Athens probably handed them more success than their whole career before did.
Novices will now associate Lordi with "extreme" music, which is just appauling IMO.

well, in my opinion, better that newbies listen to Lordi than most of the crap kids are listening to.

It is true that noone would ever listen to, or buy, their records if they looked like just any hard rock band. So it's quite fair to say they sell them selves with their image, but that's just brilliant merchandising if you wish to get rich.
They are probably the only finnish band that has put over 10 years time into figuring out the complete image of the band.

nevertheless the music is still at best mediocre.

Only thing I have to add to Jim_LotFP is: This was not only a victory for Lordi, it was a very high achievement for Finland as well.
(highest position before was 6th, sometime in the 70's)

stefan86 said:
The whole chock-factor is basically all about the masks, if you'd ask me.

The video for the song they entered is pretty dark, although I am under the impression that the football players in pads and that kind of cheerleader outfit is a decidedly American thing. And I love that at the end, all the kids running for their lives are HOLDING ON TO THEIR SCHOOLBOOKS.

OK, so maybe it is too ridiculous to be dark. :D

cenzu said:
Only thing I have to add to Jim_LotFP is: This was not only a victory for Lordi, it was a very high achievement for Finland as well.
(highest position before was 6th, sometime in the 70's)

Winning a pop contest is a national achievement? I know I see parallels in all the wrong places and put the importance on the wrong things, but it's interesting that Americans are considered wrong and supporting some sort of nebulous human rights violation for wanting to control their borders and prevent undocumented (and illegal) immigration, and are considered racist for suggesting English should be the national language... but in Europe, strict immigration policies, national languages, and nationalistic spirit over pop contests (and I don't doubt the perception, there was partying in the streets here) and soccer games is huge.

I will never understand humanity.

:p