LotFP #60.. is IN!!

Great job on those definitions - you should put that on your site for all the world to enjoy (or become enraged by).

The Pharoah interview was interesting and totally tunred me off to the idea of buying their record... just because I wanna support bands who are actually... well.. bands... and like... devoted to what they're doing... and stuff.

Good job with whatsherfsace from The Gathering - I quite like the newer releases (although I still can't spell Annecke or whatever it is). if_then_else is the first I heard from them, so I was surprised by the older stuff when I finally got around to picking it up. Still haven't ordered up the new one, but have it in my cart at The End. Some day...

Haven't heard any Solefad - the reviews have always scared me away, and I can't particularly say why... I guess I'll have to pick something up by them sooner or later.

New format is good. Me like better than the weekly.

numbskull said:
The Pharoah interview was interesting and totally tunred me off to the idea of buying their record... just because I wanna support bands who are actually... well.. bands... and like... devoted to what they're doing... and stuff.

You have a bad attitude.

This is AWESOME!

And the next album is supposed to be ready by year's end. That enough of a dedication pickup for you?

Jim LotFP said:
I'm so big of an asshole this month, I'm a goatsxe.
Nice.

My copy arrived last night, but I haven't even begun reading it yet. I still need to find my FUCKING MAGNIFYING GLASS!

Such a shame that people think in order for a metal band to be considered a band they must want to play shows... oh well, Pharaoh rocks my CD world and I think next to While Heaven Wept is the best disc of 2003 by far.

Another great issue Jim- but what else would I expect from one of the best interviewers and critical reviewers in zinedom? Keep exposing your ideas and thoughts to the public....maybe someday by 2010 written metal journalism will take off again like the 80's heydays of Metal Forces, Metal Mania, Kick Ass Monthly etc...

Matt

http://www.truemetal.org/snakepit

Jim LotFP said:
You have a bad attitude.

Of course I do, I'm a Metalhead.

It's more along the lines of a cash and storage space thing.

On my limited budget, I'd rather support the dudes who are steadfastly dedicated to their band than the guys who are professional hobbyists.

I did find two songs online and thought they were pretty cool. Tim sounds better here than he did with Control Denied. If I had unlimited funds, I'd pick it up - but I don't.

C'est la vie.

MattSnakepit said:
Such a shame that people think in order for a metal band to be considered a band they must want to play shows

Playing shows has nothing to do with it for me. I liked Falconer fine before they dropped Mathias and decided to become a touring band. But Weinerhall was dedicated to what he was doing - he wasn't putzing around for 2 years being "lazy" - that's the line I'm drawing.

Granted, I prolly buy stuff from alotta "bands" who really aren't doing anything different than Pharaoh - but since they haven't done an interview with Raggi, I don't know about it. :)

numbskull said:
Playing shows has nothing to do with it for me. I liked Falconer fine before they dropped Mathias and decided to become a touring band. But Weinerhall was dedicated to what he was doing - he wasn't putzing around for 2 years being "lazy" - that's the line I'm drawing.

I consider being lazy with recordings far less of a crime than rushing new material into the studio which is what everyone else seems to do.

Jim LotFP said:
I consider being lazy with recordings far less of a crime than rushing new material into the studio which is what everyone else seems to do.

Hmmm... good point.

This got me thinking about something only psuedo related, but I tend to think that one of the major reasons there's so much half assed stuff out these days is because too many dudes are doing too many side projects. I don't think the guys in Zeppelin ever thought, "We can't do that style of song in our band - it won't fit. We need to do side projects to express every facet of our creativity." Zep just put everything that they dug into one band - and thus that one band became far better than it woulda been otherwise, as it had a much broader range of material.

Alot of these side projects only come up with a few good/great songs anyways, so was it really necessary to start a whole new band just to do a few good songs in that style? Couldn't those few songs make the main band more diverse and interesting? Why pigeonhole your main band? Seems counterproductive - but then I have no idea what the finances are like for underground bands. I imagine the million and one side projects are done simply for financial reasons (like if you're paid $500 per album, it's best to record 500 albums per year sorta thang), and "creative freedom" is just the arty-farty excuse for 'em.

Oh, if you hate Zeppelin - then use Sabbath or Priest in the example above.

Anyways, I'd rather see more bands be willing to go that route than to think that they need outlets from their main band. I guess all the silly subgenre politics have lead to this... and it's too bad.

I should prolly order that new Enslaved, as they're definitely one of the bands out there who aren't afraid to incorporate whatever the Hell they wanna do into their catalog.