louie clemente or lars ulrich

dbluntman

May 3, 2005
I say louie clemente for a guy who have not played for 13yrs sounds pretty solid to me..
lars drumming does not seem to impressive to me in my opinion... the over use of the crash cymbols..I do have to give some credit to him..there is a lot of good swing and timing on the $5.98 garage days..to bad the songs weren't theirs.....
I'm not bashing larz he just does not sound like a drummer to me..his drumming has changed a lot over the years...he sounds best when he plays the old stuff like creeping,for whom,one....etc

Louie in the past that i've notice was gettting better in every album..a lot more stable less busy fills..pretty good for a guy who has been underrated i think...
Louie's playing kind of reminds me of clive burr playing except in thrash metal:) :headbang:

ElectricCrown said:
theyre both mediocre

Charlie and Lars were gods to me. Then I got into Slayer, then it was Charlie, Dave, and Lars. Then I got into Sepultura and Igor reigned. Then I got into death metal, and I thought Pete Sandoval was absolute. THE one. The more i got into drumming though, I discovered triggers. Didnt seem so cool anymore. Then I met Jeremy from a band called Origin (and Cephalic Carnage's drummer at the same show). Awesome. Didnt need trigges. Could play 240 BPM with one hand. I was like :OMG: SHEEEEESH! Niles drummer is INSANE!!! But, yes, Lars is definitly mediocre. Has not impressed me in quite a while. Charlie is still a god. Igor too. Paul Bostaph and John Tempesta are both really good too. OH no, did I turn this into a VS thread!?

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
Charlie and Lars were gods to me. Then I got into Slayer, then it was Charlie, Dave, and Lars. Then I got into Sepultura and Igor reigned. Then I got into death metal, and I thought Pete Sandoval was absolute. THE one. The more i got into drumming though, I discovered triggers. Didnt seem so cool anymore. Then I met Jeremy from a band called Origin (and Cephalic Carnage's drummer at the same show). Awesome. Didnt need trigges. Could play 240 BPM with one hand. I was like :OMG: SHEEEEESH! Niles drummer is INSANE!!! But, yes, Lars is definitly mediocre. Has not impressed me in quite a while. Charlie is still a god. Igor too. Paul Bostaph and John Tempesta are both really good too. OH no, did I turn this into a VS thread!?

and what about louie??

Nobody, but nobody ever gives "mad props" (as we say in the "hood") to two of the best drummers in the business:

Philthy Phil Animal Taylor (retired) - check out how advanced "Overkill" was for its time,

and

Mickey Dee (Motorhead) - he might not be a 874mph blaster, but fuck, can tha guy drum...

Louie Clemente's extremely BORING drumming is what keeps me from enjoying more Souls of Black and Practive What You Preach... He is definetly one of Metal's worst.

Ulrich, although pretty sloppy, was really good in his good momments. He had a weird "something" back in the day, but today? He's just boring as well.

Charlie's aces, always has been and probably always will be.

Bostaph is really good, but nothing that stands out really.

I absolutely love Tempesta's sound. Everytime I hear Temepesta on drums it sounds as he's beating the shit out of his drumkit... and that's always good.

Lombardo is just insane... I personnally think sometimes he does wayyyy too much, but the man is really good. Like a machine.

Speaking of machines, Raymond Herrera of FF fame is a cyborg... that guy must have ate clocks when he was a kid cause he's got some furious rythms on his hands.

Gar Samuelson of Megadeth fame was probably one of the most underrated drummers in metal history... Just hear his drummings in the early megadeth records... the man was REALLY good.

Also Nick Menza of Megadeth fame too. He is very good, although I hear he is very sloppy live, but his rythms were very interesting and they really shined on the songs.

i'd have to go with lars on this one, he's done some pretty great things, and he's a lot more versatile and inventive than louie. but yea, neither of them are great.

I just don't get why people get so damn excited about how fast a drummer can play. The current metal trends seem to be about watering down the music for radio air play or watering down the music for the sake of speed. Either way you are still watering down the playing. Fuck that!

Louie is decent, Charlie is great, Tempesta is amazing, Lombardo is one of the most passionate drummers, Nick was great in his time, Raymond Herrera is one of my favorite of the drummers that use triggers.

Lars doesn't seem to have it anymore but at least he was pretty good at one time which is more then I can say for Louie. I'm a HUGE Testament fan but I definitely don't miss Louie's drumming.

little known fact about Raymond H. Until Obsolete came out, he had a drum click in his headphones. Rumor is he still does, but seeing him live, I dont see it, he throws in wayy too many fills and improv to be hearing a drum click.

As for Gar, I always thought he sucked is why he never really played with alot of fills. I found out recently he was a schooled jazz drummer, and was not that into metal at the time (so sayeth Chris Poland). Jazz drumming can be very impressive, so that changed my mind on it. And Louie? Eh. He never really stood out for me, thats why I didnt mention him. Kinda like T.O.N. drummer, just nothing that stood out. For my personal intrests, its about technique. Igor, Charlie, and Dave (Lombardo) are the ones that stuck out for me as for technique and had the drum fills that I HAD to learn.

Death metal is soooo flooded with "I can play 1,000 bpm" drummers that it is hard to pick the really good ones. Its about the groove, feeling, and fills. Anyone can learn to play AC/DC or Ramones. But a good drummer will have a signature to it. Even Lars has that "thing" that you can tell when its him drummin (which is warning to stay away! HAHA!). Just like anyone with a muscle spasm and a trigger can play a blast beat, it takes someone with skill to make the beat stand on its own, yet mesh with the music.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
little known fact about Raymond H. Until Obsolete came out, he had a drum click in his headphones. Rumor is he still does, but seeing him live, I dont see it, he throws in wayy too many fills and improv to be hearing a drum click.

As for Gar, I always thought he sucked is why he never really played with alot of fills. I found out recently he was a schooled jazz drummer, and was not that into metal at the time (so sayeth Chris Poland). Jazz drumming can be very impressive, so that changed my mind on it. And Louie? Eh. He never really stood out for me, thats why I didnt mention him. Kinda like T.O.N. drummer, just nothing that stood out. For my personal intrests, its about technique. Igor, Charlie, and Dave (Lombardo) are the ones that stuck out for me as for technique and had the drum fills that I HAD to learn.

Death metal is soooo flooded with "I can play 1,000 bpm" drummers that it is hard to pick the really good ones. Its about the groove, feeling, and fills. Anyone can learn to play AC/DC or Ramones. But a good drummer will have a signature to it. Even Lars has that "thing" that you can tell when its him drummin (which is warning to stay away! HAHA!). Just like anyone with a muscle spasm and a trigger can play a blast beat, it takes someone with skill to make the beat stand on its own, yet mesh with the music.

YOU'RE A DRUMMER ALRIGHT.....:D