louie clemente or lars ulrich

little known fact about Raymond H. Until Obsolete came out, he had a drum click in his headphones. Rumor is he still does, but seeing him live, I dont see it, he throws in wayy too many fills and improv to be hearing a drum click.
Do you think playing to a click track makes you not a good drummer or, you can't play crazy fills and still be on with the click ? The click never lies. Most people think they have an incredible sense of timing untill put in a studio with a click, then it all comes to light that they don't. it also makes it a whole lot easier to punch and edit or, take the drums out completley and add a whole different beat or style. Some bands use the click live for video triggers and sampled things that need to be going at the exact time measures they were recorded.
As far as adding a feel to your style, I've seen AC/DC and Ramones tribute bands where the bands totally miss the style and feel of the music. Playing drums or, any instrument in a band for that matter is all about the overall feel of the band and, doing what's right for the song. It has nothing to do with drum fills or some whacked out solo. A great musician is one who knows when to do what's right for the arrangement of the song.

karrokid said:
Do you think playing to a click track makes you not a good drummer or, you can't play crazy fills and still be on with the click ? The click never lies. A great musician is one who knows when to do what's right for the arrangement of the song.

I see my basic point was missed. I was not trying to make him lesser of a man or a drummer. Just thought it was infor I would share, although my respect for him at the time dwindled because of it (and after seeing him live, changed that perspective). ONLY because I had yet to fully understand studio elements or grasp what it meant to be an awesome drummer. A great musician can do whats right for the song, 100% agreed. But fills are cool too. It is what gives others bragging rights. :D

karrokid said:
this guy blows them both away
http://www.isnichwahr.com/redirect7537.html
and he's got the black metal arm band thing going, one less thing he needs if joining metallica or danzig !

quads weigh in and around 50 lbs, lets ee him try that with them strapped on!! MARCHING BAND RULES!!! HAHA! He is good though, imaginative. After playing the quads in marching band, however, I now have a deep hatred for them. Fun to play, a bitch to haul around. OK, I just had an killer idea, lets round up the best metal drummers and start a kick ass drumline! Dave, Charlie, Igor, Raymond, Bittner, Pete from Morbid Angel.....uuuhmmm....Lars??

I've recently got into Killing is my Business, and I think there's some fine drumming there. Gar remains seriously underrated. Menza on Rust in Peace, of course, kicks ass.

I think if you go back to early Metallica, Master of Puppets, even the black album, there's some good drumming there. I have live recordings from 86 and they fucking smoked. Lars has gone seriously down hill. Compare him nowadays to Benante and it's fucking sad.

When you start throwing Richard Christy into the mix, that's a whole new level. And he's spending all of his time on Howard Stern! That guy needs to play more drums.

A hopefully-not-former member and frequent poster of this board's favorite drummer is Mickey Dee.

So, comparing Metallica 84-91 to Testament of the same period, I say Lars comes out ahead.

Saw Metallica at Alpine Valley (WIS) in 88. I swear to you Lars feet were like spokes in a fast turning wheel on the bass drums back them. Second only to seeing Charlie in the Among tour. Havent seen Lars live since then because as far as I am concerned they havent recorded anything worth the ticket since

I saw Metallica on the Lollahackloser tour. That was the pre-Load megatour. His drumming was like Load, mid tempo, no frills. Even creeping death lacked alot. But in the encore, they did Whiplash, Last Caress and some other shit, but i left after Last Caress. Whiplash was sooo fast compared to even the live shit DVD. That impressed me, but that was about it. I have heard that now his drumming is akin to the Justice era. My friend joked with me he finally found that second pedal and remembered how to play fast.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
I have heard that now his drumming is akin to the Justice era. My friend joked with me he finally found that second pedal and remembered how to play fast.
I wouldn't say so. It looks to me like the worst it's ever been. His double bass now is way off; he can't keep it solid.

Screw both of them.

I vote for the actor that played the captain on the Love Boat TV Show. Best Drummer in Metal ever.

o_O ...it's almost friday. Hang in there son.

I don't like Lars and I don't like his drumming either. I mean it was average thrash metal on MOP and RTL. He wasn't bad or anything. It's just that he surprisingly grew worse as Metallica went on. Louie is in Testament which is one of my favorite bands. He was another average thrash metal but liek it was mentioned before he did tend to get better as Testament went on and hes not even that bad on LIL.

MetalT

Drokk said:
I wouldn't say so. It looks to me like the worst it's ever been. His double bass now is way off; he can't keep it solid.

I halfway agree with that. I guess the kid in me doesnt want to admit one of his original drummer heroes suck. I have gotten into debate among debate and even fights (as a kid mind you) over this. Ugh, the truth IS ugly.