Love of Live (part två)

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
Hi everyone! Since the old "love of live" thread is (apparently) pretty much dead, we might as well have a new one. Let's start with Naglfar.

We don't have a concerts thread, so I'm going to post this in this thread. Anything goes, rite??? =)

Also, I posted this in the DT forum. But I want my loves here to see it, too!

Gonna give a little battle report...

I was at the Enslaved / Opeth show in New Jersey last night (May 1st, Starland Ballroom). For those of you who were there, I was the spritely dirty blonde standing behind the main sound gear wearing a Vertebrae hoodie (it had the best view in the place, other than the front and up at the bar). For some reason there was an odd combination of fat guys, teenage hipsters with their girlfriends, and regular metalheads at the venue.

Enslaved opened, and their first three songs had huge sound problems. Enslaved's one of my favorite bands ever, so I was digging the show, but their sound guy was frantically moving around dials and levers trying to fix whatever the fuck went wrong. To make matters worse, you couldn't hear the lead guitarist, and the lead guitarist himself tried to fix the sound from the amp on the stage. I know... sometimes guitarists do stuff with their amp, but in this case it was a running battle. This was their set list, like, literally. Their sound guy gave me his copy at the end of their set:

1. Intro from F.O.H. (cd/ipod/mp3)
TO THE COAST

2. ... directly into Ivar guitar-chords as intro for
FUSION OF SENSE AND EARTH

3. ... directly into Ivar guitar intro w/ Grutle talks
RUUN

4. ... directly into Herbrand synth intro w/ Grutle talks
AS FIRE SWEPT CLEAN THE EARTH

5. Grutle talks
GROUND

6. Grutle talks
THE WATCHER

7. -Grutle talks, then Arve guitar intro
ISA

NO EXTRAS (I'm assuming this means Enslaved doesn't get to do any encores)

The first couple of songs, up to As Fire Swept Clean The Earth, were really a wash. You couldn't hear very much except the drums and some guitar, and it felt loud in a bad way. Fire went as badly as possible, with the guitarist finagling his amp, the sound guy trying to fix it, resulting in some feedback and a huge whomp from the bass. Once they hit Ground the band got its shit together and at least the last three songs were pretty amazing, especially Isa. They only played six songs, though! =( Enslaved needs to add Return to Yggdrasil and maybe one of their oldies to that set!

As for Opeth's setlist:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
The Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure (super fucking deluxe ultra prog metal edition)
The Night and the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Deliverance

Opeth was... wow. I hadn't been to a show where a band gave their everything like that in a long, long time. They were SO GOOD. If you're not a fan of their last three albums, yet you've never seen them live, that's really the antidote for "getting" their newer sound. The intensity and heaviness that is perhaps not captured on their albums simply kicks your ass live. Closure had what seemed like an eternity of just Opeth jamming on stage added to it, and the crowd was basically in disbelief at the band's sonic assault on them. I think we earned ourselves Deliverance as an encore, although Opeth may have just done the whole "walk offstage and come back to rev up the crowd for the real last song" act. Akerfelt likes to talk to the crowd, also... every time there was a pause between songs, he would give the crowd music advice and make cracks about NJ / Bon Jovi. And he called himself cocksucker. At least he claims he has a jacket that says as much on the back. Their sound, overall, was excellent. Opeth simply oozes musicianship.

All in all, great show. If Enslaved gets their sound together for the rest of the tour (it was the first show of the tour), it will be one of the best venues this year. Highly recommend.

Enjoy! :kickass:

Fuckin' aye, just got confirmation that I'm going to Sweden Rock Fetival (all four days) yesterday. I'm also going to the Crüe Fest in Copenhagen on Sunday. Not that I'm a big Mötley Crüe fan, but I bet they are good live so I'm looking forward to it anyway.
Anyone else going to any of these?

Fuckin' aye, just got confirmation that I'm going to Sweden Rock Fetival (all four days) yesterday. I'm also going to the Crüe Fest in Copenhagen on Sunday. Not that I'm a big Mötley Crüe fan, but I bet they are good live so I'm looking forward to it anyway.
Anyone else going to any of these?

For the first time in many years, I'm not attending SRF. The price is too expensive and there's not a whole lot of bands I want to see. I might attend one day though, but mainly for the party :kickass:

Yeah, I agree it is too pricey, but I haven't been there for many years, and the site I write for is covering the festival so... We have to pay for our own tickets, but is still a good excuse for going.

Hope for Wacken, Metalcamp and Brutal Assault as well, but we'll have to wait and see...

I'm heading for Wacken this summer. For me the line-up is great this year, since it leaves a lot of time for drinking and talking to metalheads from around the world :D . And they have Borknagar, which is worth buying a ticket for in itself.

I'm heading for Wacken this summer. For me the line-up is great this year, since it leaves a lot of time for drinking and talking to metalheads from around the world :D . And they have Borknagar, which is worth buying a ticket for in itself.

Agreed, lots of bands that I would like to see, but time and money is always a factor. But didn't it sell out REALLY quick this year?

Wacken would be great. Borknagar would be a great reason to buy a ticket alone. That is, if you can afford it.
Doro, Running Wild, Saxon, and Einherjar would be the other great benefits (for me). I saw Doro and Saxon quite a bit and still love it 'til this day. Borknagar, I never saw - but I would love to.
This Sunday, I'm going to see Queensryche. I hear they put on a really great show. Plus, their music is amazing!

My friend Martin, he plays in a band called Hellennium from Uddevalla.
He is playing Wacken. Not the real gig, but he said something about the Monday after the big gig. THere is a one-day show that is little after the Wacken? I never knew this(because I never went), but this is what he says.
GOOD BAND THOUGH! They are one of the greatest Power Metal bands known to man. Better than Manowar. They played with Sabaton a few months ago.

Svarthjärtad;8257936 said:
My friend Martin, he plays in a band called Hellennium from Uddevalla.
He is playing Wacken. Not the real gig, but he said something about the Monday after the big gig. THere is a one-day show that is little after the Wacken? I never knew this(because I never went), but this is what he says.
GOOD BAND THOUGH! They are one of the greatest Power Metal bands known to man. Better than Manowar. They played with Sabaton a few months ago.

Strange, I've been to Wacken for 7-8 years, but I've never heard about this event either... Know someplace where I can find more info about it?:confused:

Oh, and I think Joey DeMaio would slice you up into itsy-bitsy pieces for that remark; Manowar are TRUE metal!:devil:

If anyone's interested (tobz perhaps?) I saw Dia Psalma yesterday. The show was alright, although nothing special, but the sound wasn't very good. The setlist was OK, although IMO there were too much focus on the newer material.

Two killer shows for me next week. Exodus / Warbringer / Kreator on Monday and then Jon Oliva's Pain on Friday. Psyched as a bitch for the Kreator gig. New album is a monster...

Past thursday Amon Amarth was here. The ticket was too way expensive for just one band (around 26 euro, anyway I didn't pay it but still it was way expensive).

The show was solid and the setlist was more focused on the last 3 albums (edit: on the latest 2, just a couple of old songs). The sound was ok, but the last songs sound too way similar among each other (or not memorable at all? maybe both??) so just at the end the show was somehow interesting. I can't say it was fuckin awesome, just ok.

I sadly missed the Heaven and Hell gig. I just received comments from friends about the awesomeness of it.

Next month comes Hate Eternal + Vital Remains and I'll buy the ticket this week. Sad thing that Suzuki is not anymore on the band but still the show must be at least decent with the new axeman, who lacks ANY stage presence but plays the lead guitar flawlessly (I saw Suzuki live with Deicide, at least that show was incredible :p).

If anyone's interested (tobz perhaps?) I saw Dia Psalma yesterday. The show was alright, although nothing special, but the sound wasn't very good. The setlist was OK, although IMO there were too much focus on the newer material.

Funny, that's exactly what I felt after the Malmö and Kristianstad gigs. That was the only thing convincing me it was ok not to go the Karlshamn one. They most definitely need to change that setlist up a bit. Except for the songs from the new album they have played this setlist for, what, three years now? I love Dia Dsalma, will probably do so until I die, but I wouldn't mind hearing some other tracks live once in a while...

BTW, did they play I Fädrens Spår? It was on the original setlist for both of "my" gigs, but both times it had been changed to one of the new ones...

Past thursday Amon Amarth was here. The ticket was too way expensive for just one band (around 26 euro, anyway I didn't pay it but still it was way expensive).

The show was solid and the setlist was more focused on the last 3 albums (edit: on the latest 2, just a couple of old songs). The sound was ok, but the last songs sound too way similar among each other (or not memorable at all? maybe both??) so just at the end the show was somehow interesting. I can't say it was fuckin awesome, just ok.

I sadly missed the Heaven and Hell gig. I just received comments from friends about the awesomeness of it.

Next month comes Hate Eternal + Vital Remains and I'll buy the ticket this week. Sad thing that Suzuki is not anymore on the band but still the show must be at least decent with the new axeman, who lacks ANY stage presence but plays the lead guitar flawlessly (I saw Suzuki live with Deicide, at least that show was incredible :p).

Amon Amarth will be here next Saturday, I'm not too excited about it but oh well, I'm still going. Do you happen to have the setlist?

Y que mierda que no pudieras ir al de Heaven and Hell :(, yo moriría de felicidad si ellos vinieran acá.

I've been listening to some Dia Psalma, I like them a lot they're quite good. Sorry to hear that the recent gigs were only satisfactory :( .

Two killer shows for me next week. Exodus / Warbringer / Kreator on Monday and then Jon Oliva's Pain on Friday. Psyched as a bitch for the Kreator gig. New album is a monster...

AHH!!!
There is a band from my city. They are on that tour, called Inside Out.
I am friends with Tim. Great guy! We use to take guitar lessons ftogether from Nick Catenese of Black Label Society.
I don't know if they will be in your city, because they are comming back home soon. I saw that gig twice already. You're in for one hell of a treat!

I hope Jon Oliva's Pain is good for you!

TOBZ....
Hehe. They are good, but I think Hellennium are better. No offense to Joey, of course! I still think he should be president of the world... someday. And followed by Blackie Lawless(wasp) as vice president. Hehe.

Oh, and by the way... I just got back from the Queensryche gig. FUCKIN' KILLER!
Talk about putting a lot of energy into a show... THIS was awesome.
I'm stoked for Crue Fest. Mayhem Fest, SLAYER is playing! I never saw them.
I saw Tyr last month, great show! The Amon Amarth show I didn't go to . I don't like them. I don't find them very "viking metal". The songtexts might be, but the music reminds me of Lamb of God meets Arch Enemy and who in the hell wants that? My opionion though, don't hate me! :S

Funny, that's exactly what I felt after the Malmö and Kristianstad gigs. That was the only thing convincing me it was ok not to go the Karlshamn one. They most definitely need to change that setlist up a bit. Except for the songs from the new album they have played this setlist for, what, three years now? I love Dia Dsalma, will probably do so until I die, but I wouldn't mind hearing some other tracks live once in a while...

BTW, did they play I Fädrens Spår? It was on the original setlist for both of "my" gigs, but both times it had been changed to one of the new ones...

If I remember correctly, they didn't play it. But they did play "Vi Svartnar" which is one of my favourites and I was really surprised that they did it.

Svarthjärtad;8262232 said:
AHH!!!
There is a band from my city. They are on that tour, called Inside Out.
I am friends with Tim. Great guy! We use to take guitar lessons ftogether from Nick Catenese of Black Label Society.
I don't know if they will be in your city, because they are comming back home soon. I saw that gig twice already. You're in for one hell of a treat!

I hope Jon Oliva's Pain is good for you!

TOBZ....
Hehe. They are good, but I think Hellennium are better. No offense to Joey, of course! I still think he should be president of the world... someday. And followed by Blackie Lawless(wasp) as vice president. Hehe.

Will let you know if Inside Out plays tonight.
I'll be at the Queensryche gig next Friday. Glad to hear they were good, last couple of times I've seen them they have been so so.

Jon Oliva is always awesome on his "home court". Usually brings out some guests on stage and that. Las time I saw him it was basically Savatage on stage. Great stuff.